cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from SAP ABAP to SAP MDM

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have 1 year of experience in abap. i now got an offer for training in MDM, through which obviously my carrer gonna change to SAP MDM.
i am very much intrested in ABAP. Will SAP MDM will help my career grow?????  i heard that SAP MDM is slowing. Is that true????

shall i take a step in SAP MDM or continiung ABAP is the best option.

Thanks and Regards,

Vijayguru Kumar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Welcome to MDM. Hope below points will help you get answer to your query.

1. SAP MDM is completely different from SAP ABAP. It is not even a ABAP based system, its C++        based so you will have different look and feel.

2. Your 1yr ABAP experience might be useful only in the following cases

a. If you are working on ABAP APIs for MDM.

b. If you are good at Idocs/ SAP Tables, it will be helpful in understanding/debugging the syndication process to ECC via PI.

3. May be you might be at ease in writing MDM assignments (but its not ABAP)

Yes, MDM is slowing down but SAP guarantees its existence till year 2020.  But the good news is that SAP is projecting SAP MDG as its Master Data Management tool going forward. Currently MDG can do only the Governance part but with MDS on its way MDG will be handling all the functions that SAP MDM can do. For MDG you require ABAP, WFs, WD and FPM.

So, i suggest you to take up this SAP MDM training, work for a project to know what and how Master Data works. and then move to MDG and you will be the HOT CAKE, Good Luck.

regards

mohan

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member193350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Vijay,

As mentioned by other experts. It purely depends on your interest.

However, as you mentioned that aready have1 year of coding experience and that too of ABAP-(heart of SAP).... . So, I would suggest you to go towads for MDG as it requires ABAP knowledge which u are already possessing.

But, If you want to dig-deep towards NetWeaver side and want to deal with master data then MDM is the best fit for this. As MDM will never work alone you need to integrate with different systems via middle ware (PI-- another Netweaver Component). So, here you can even explore PI part and elaborate your CV with many more skills.

If you are getting training then I would recommend you to go forward and have different flavours.

All the Best!!!

Regards

Prateek

shanthi_kumar
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

I will agree with Jun in staying back with ABAP. But you can go ahead and learn MDG rather than learning MDM. As u said MDM is slowing down and MDG is becoming hotter these days. On top of it MDG requires a lof of ABAP skills. For just learning and understanding of what MDG is all about you can learn MDM. But to become a complete MDM consultant think n number of times. If you don't want to code you can learn MDM.

Kind Regards,

Thamizharasi N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Analyse and Narrow down your question - Do you have flair towards coding? If yes, continue with ABAP and there's no harm learning MDM (provided an opportunity) as this would definitely upskill. But if you do not like to continue coding then MDM is the best available option.

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

I don't think both are mutually exclusive.If you can learn MDG and still have ABAP as your primary skill,it will be additional plus for you.If you are getting such a training the go for it.

Thanks,

Ravi

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

trust me, stay with abap