cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat file to NON SAP system using PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know the different solutions  PI can provide to transfer data between SAP and non SAP system.

Current process : SAP ECC downloads flat file and that file is send over mail manually.

Client wants to introduce PI to replace manual transfer.

Can we send flat file through  webservice? In this case we will have to use file to SOAP asynch scenario right?

Please help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Riya

Normally we provide xml data to a SOAP adapter. If you want to send the flat file, then go for FTP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indrajit,

Okay so you are mentioning file(NFS) to file (FTP)-sender side NFS to pick the file from your local folder and receiver side FTP.

My doubt here is FTP server will be of 3rd party, what information will we require to send file to FTP server or rather pre-requisites.

Thanks.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will need the connection and authentication details.

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Riya

You need the FTP credentials

Server host name or ip address where the file will be sent

the folder name where the file will be placed

user id

password

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If non SAP system does not have FTP server, then what other possibilities can we look into?

Please help.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Riya,

Have a word with them. How do they prefer to interact with outside world.

Cheers,

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The choice of protocol should be decided after checking the capabilities of external system. So, technically speaking u could send the text file to external system using file adapter (FTP/FTPs), using mail adapter (as an attachment), if they are using JMS system like TIBCO etc. then u could also use JMS adapter.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The client knows nothing about PI. So we will only have to suggest and give them probable options.

Thanks.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Riya,

The client may not know about PI but they would know how they interact (integrate) with other enterprise systems. Have a discussion with them. Make them aware about how PI can interact with them. It may be FTP, JDBC, JMS, SOAP or other standard protocols.

You can also use a mail adapter to automate this process. Pick up the file and send it via PI as an attachment though a receiver mail adapter.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One more doubt, since i want to pick up a flat file, can we send flat file using adapters - JDBC, JMS, SOAP?

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Riya,

For JMS, JDBC and SOAP, you will have to read the file and transform it in mapping.

For mail and file to file (pass through), you can avoid transformation step.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

But we have to send flat file only to external system.

As you said, for JMS, JDBC and SOAP we have to transform does that mean we can only send xml data through above adapters?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Riya,

Don't go with JDBC and SOAP (even though u can send csv attachments using soap protocol) and try to discuss and find out whether external system is capable to receive messages using FTP protocol or not?

In case, they don't want to use FTP/FTPs (which i doubt) then u can try to explore other possibilities like Mail/JMS/soap etc.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have to send file only,explore if they have an FTP server as my first post suggested.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Riya,

I dont know why the ECC needs to pick up the file itself for this reason im going to mention a solution that may be is not helpful for you. I would do all the transfer work with PI, i would develop a FILE - RFC -FILE (without BPM). In this way the PI will do a pool to pick up the file and it will send file to the ECC via RFC, because i suppose the ECC needs to work with it and you wouldn't spend time to the ABAP file treatment in the ECC, and in the last step the PI would send the file to the third party endpoint.

You can check this scenario in this wiki: http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=69331

Regards.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Riya,

Please check with non-SAP system if they have an FTP server. If they do, you can use PI to transfer the flat file like a pass-through scenario.

cheers,

Ambrish