cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between "System-Switch-Upgrade" and "Near Zero Downtime"?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey experts

I just read through a couple of upgrade mechnics such as the SAP-System-Switch technology and Near-Zero-Downtime.

Can anyone briefly explain the difference between these two strategies? 

Any help of course will be rewarded with appropriate points.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Jann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP System switch is general methodology with which we execute upgrade procedure in which it creates shadow instance and during downtime it replicates shadow instance on main instance.

Near Zero Downtime is advance technique for upgrade in which downtime is very less. In this technique, database triggers are used to record changes in the database which is used to copy changes in the main instance. This is a specialize service which is delivered by SAP only.

Thanks,

Sunny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interestingly NZD is also available to the rest of us mortals...  I'm running an EHP7 on ERP 6 update and one of the options under Advanced Mode is NZD.  I didn't have time to try it on this project as I've got a whole project team waiting for the update, but it's there and available.

Regards,

Graham

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You will get this option in SUM but you would not be able to do this without SAP as lot of changes needs to be done in database for database triggers etc.

Thanks,

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

I experienced NZDM during my last upgrade project. It's very interesting if you want to reduce the downtime. I managed to get less than 3 hours instead of 8 hours with it. It is released officially by SAP so you can use it as you want.

Be careful to use the last version of SUM 1.0 SP8 to use this feature.

Regards,

Pierre

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Pierre for the information. Looks like, I am bit old in this Technology World

As per SAP note 1678564, we can use NZDM without SAP support.

Thanks,

Sunny