cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment scenarios for Information Steward

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have little confusion about Information Steward Deployment on a separate machine.

We are going to use heavy data profiling in Information Steward, so decided I will install Data Services Job server on separate machine. Here is my confusion.

Let's say I have Business Objects installed on Machine A, Data Services installed on Machine B, plan to install Information Steward all the components on Machine B and only install Data Services Job Server on Machine C.

I don't have Business Objects installed on Machine B, can I install IPS on Machine B to avoid prerequisite failed check but want to reference to CMS on machine A while installing Information Steward? is possible- will I be able to leverage Lineage Analysis if I install Information Steward on Seprate machine.

What would be the best deployment scenario do you think I can use.

Thanks,

Nis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is  your requirement to have :

Machine A: Full IPS

Machine B: Full IS

Machine C: DS job server

If so then you need to install on :

Machine A: Full IPS (keep what you have)

Machine B:

1. Platform Processing services & Platform Scheduling Services (Custom install of IPS, you'll point to Machine A cms system)
  2. Data Services APS Services and Job Server from Data Services install
  3. Information Steward full  (primary install)

Machine C:

1. Platform Processing services & Platform Scheduling Services (Custom install of IPS)
  2. Data Services Job Server
  3. Configure the job server using the DS Server Manager tool and sync it with the IS repo (not DS one)

Note:

• Don't configure the DS job server on Machine B unless you want it to form as part of IS job server group.
  • Any IPS services/servers added in B and C will make part of a cluster  with  A as the primary node. So if you  don't want this cluster then  you just  stop servers from the relevant nodes.

Hope I didn't miss anything!

Thanks

Nawfal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nawfal,

Thank you for reply.  I am clear on most of the part, have now few questions.

This is what I want

Machine A: Full BI Plafform

Machine B : Full Data Services and Full IPS

Machine C: Only Data Services Job server to run IPS Data Insight Repo

Now my question is, let'say I have Job Server configured for DS on Machine B and will Create Job Server On Machine C for Information Steward. How do I sync up the job server.

Can I install IS Data Insight Job Server on DS MachineB and create one more job server of DS in Machine C, so we will have something like this

Machine B : DS JOB Server, IS Job Server

Machine C:  DS JOB Server, IS Job Server

then create server group for load balance and parallel process

Do you think this is better approach compare to having

Machine B : DS JOB Server

Machine C:  IS Job Server

Thanks for your help.

Nis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Q: Now my question is, let'say I have Job Server configured for DS on Machine B and will Create Job Server On Machine C for Information Steward. How do I sync up the job server.

A: When you install the DS job server, a tool called Server Manager will also be added. Using this tool you can add the job server (s) and each job server needs to be associated with a repository. For DS job server  for IS you'll point it to the IS repo and if you want a DS job server for DS then you'll point it to the DS repo.

Q: Can I install IS Data Insight Job Server on DS MachineB and create one more job server of DS in Machine C, so we will have something like this

Machine B : DS JOB Server, IS Job Server

Machine CDS JOB Server, IS Job Server

then create server group for load balance and parallel process

A: Yes, but you need to answer the question onto whether your requirement from this build is for DS or IS mainly. If you are only interested in IS insight and Metadata Management  then there is no need to have a DS Job Server for DS.

IS and DS job server group work differently. DS servergroup is done in the DS Management Console and serves the need to loadbalance DS jobs. However IS servergroup is for Data Insight only (When you create more  than one DS jobserver for IS for the same IS repo, it will be automatically be grouped) .

Q:  Do you think this is better approach compare to having

Machine B : DS JOB Server

Machine C:  IS Job Server

A: Again, do your really need DS job servers for DS let alone  servergroup for DS?

--You also said that:

This is what I want

Machine A: Full BI Plafform

Machine B : Full Data Services and Full IPS

Machine C: Only Data Services Job server to run IPS Data Insight Repo

--My comment:

Don't mix the Full BI platform and IPS, try to have  only one type across all your machines. If you want to keep the full BI platform on Machine A then on machine B or C use BI custom install and add only  the components that you need.

Hope this help

Thanks

Nawfal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Nawfal.

Answers (0)