cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock Posting for Skip Lots

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi QM Experts,

I have a question on posting of Skip Lots. Gone thru many threads, but failed to find the complete details.

• If a Material Is setup to inspect in skip lots. Say 1 in 5 to be inspected
  • Material received on 10th Oct (10/10/2013) is inspected and cleared as accepted
  • Then subsequent receipt say 12th Oct (10/12/2013) is a skip lot. In such case,
  • Currently system posting the material document and creating an Inspection Lot and material document is posted with stock type 'Q'
  • On Usage Decision run by background job, the skip lot is cleared and 321 document is posted

Question:

• Is there a standard way by which the material document be posted to 'UR' stock while posting the material document itself? in case of skip lot.
  • If so, how can this be setup? what master data needs to be maintained to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Surya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Surya,

You can do the settings in SPRO, under inspection lot completion, Plan automatic usage decision, Select your plant and go to details and goto tab inspection lot completion, Under Automatic Usage Decision, Set "0" in the slot given for delay time for skip lot.

Check and revert.

Regards

Neelima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Neelima

I maintained this config and posted the document. It posted 101 document with stock type 'Q' and immediately posted a 321 document also in no time. So technically stock is moved out of quality in no time. In nut shell, the material document still have 'Q'. This is a issue for me.

Alternatively, I tried maintaining material master Inspection Setup with Inspection type characteristic 'Control Inspection Lot' as 'For each Material Document item', then the stock posting is made to 'UR' instead of Quality. If this setting is maintained as 'for each material document, material, batch, and storage location' then it is posting to 'Quality'

Do you know any adverse impacts of this change or the exact business purpose of this setting?

Thanks

Surya

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Surya, why it is really needed to have stock type as unrestricted for SKIP lots though it is getting posted from QI to unrestricted in no time? This would let us to alternative solution if any!

I would rather recommend to keep this duration as 2 to 4 hour at least. Reasons,

1. This allows you to take decision for stock posting manually within this duration even though it is a SKIP lot.
  2. This helps in situations like - You found some rejection on floor, want to post the same through lot, but the stock is in SKIP.
  3. Also, this can reset the quality levels based on manual usage decision taken within 4 hours or whatever is set.

As per my knowledge it is not feasible to post the stock in unrestricted for SKIP lots if you change control of inspection lot creation in material master.

Regards, Anand

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are testing using "each material document item", and doing multiple receipts using the same PO and item number, you won't get any new inspection lots.

For "each material document, material, batch, and storage location" you might be getting new inspection lots because you are receiving the material in as a new batch each time.

Using the "each material document item" as you did won't influence or change your skip lot procedures.  I.e. if you make one large purchase order and receive in daily bulk deliveries, after the first receipt, you won't get any more inspection lots and it has nothing to do with your skip lot procedures at all.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Craig

When I posted the documents with setting as 'each material document item' also it is creating the inspection lot for each material receipt for the same PO line item. So based on my testing, I guess this is what is happening:

With each material document item, system creates one (separate) inspection lot for each material document line item. So in a GR if I post 2 line items for the same material then it creates 2 separate lots.

In the each material document, material, batch and storage location, system creates separate inspection lot for each change of the above parameter. Meaning, if I post two lines in GR for  a material with same batch to same storage location then it creates single inspection lot. If a new batch comes in the same GR then a separate inspection lot gets created.

I agree that this is nothing to do with skip lot but strangely it is posting to UR stock if the setting is 'each material document item'. Not sure why this behavior.

Thanks

Surya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Anand

I agree with you comments. But what happens in large warehouses is posting to inspection lot in GR document triggers label printings and subsequent warehouse movements say TO creation if WM is used.Typically the warehouse movements are triggered in system immediately after GR postings to avoid additional transactions or business interference to perform the transactions. 

This might results in un-necessary movements in warehouse from receiving dock to quality area and then again to regular bins area. This is a costly labor effort.

So business should strike a balance between the additional warehouse movements vs feasibility to do disposition if they choose to do inspection or adjust the in-process rejections.

Hope you agree with this

Thanks

Surya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.