Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRP in APO and ECC?

former_member382625
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am learning MRP. Can MRP be done both in APO and ECC?

What is the difference between MRP in APO and ECC?

Can someone provide me some material for MRP in ECC?

Thanks and Regards,

Neha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ravi_malpani
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neha,

Yes. MRP can be done both in APO and ECC. MRP in APO is also called as Heuristics.

APO being an advanced planning system, it is advised to restrict the planning to limited and critical materials. There are different product categorisation methods. If you classify materials in categories A, B & C (as per business importance, profitability etc) then it would be prudent to restrict APO Planning to A & B category materials only.

Eg. For generic materials like packaging bottles, caps, labels etc. you may not transfer material master data of these materials to APO for planning.

Based on my experience, below are the differences

APO as the name suggests has many advanced options available.

1. Quota arrangements can be defined for source location and APO heuristics respects the quota arrangement

2. Low level code calculation can be used to limit the scope of SNP Run

3. Option to run location heuristics or network heuristics for a material

4. Better interactive way to run MRP. APO Planning book resembles an excel work sheet and provides a better interface

5. Parallel processing profile can be defined which helps in achieving shorter run time

6. Alert monitor functionality

There can be many more in addition to above. To this list, you may also add the generic advantages of APO over R3 (in terms of planning) like Deployment heuristics, CTM, Constrained based Optimization using Optimizer, Integration of distribution and manufacturing (SNP and PPDS) etc.

Hope this helps.

Regrds,
Ravi

former_member382625
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi...This surely helps.

Based on your description, will we always prefer planning in ECC if we do not want advanced planning capabilities?

Do you have any material that you can share for ECC MRP so that I can understand the basic capabilities of MRP in ECC?

ravi_malpani
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes. It can be an inference that you prefer planning in ECC if you don't want advanced planning but it is not limited to this single criteria. As I mentioned, it is a strategic decision based on product categorisation and there can be different criteria applied by different companies.

I don't have any specific study material on ECC MRP but am sure you will find a lot of relavant posts on SCN and you can also do a generic search on internet.

Just plan a test scenario in your internal system. Run MRP transaction in ECC, check the various selection options available and select some combinations to run MRP then check  the results. For same set-up you can run Heuristics in APO. This way you will understand the ECC MRP constraints better

apo-dude
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi

Im working on something related to low level codes. Infact i posted a question few days back ' Can Standard deployment use Low level codes for planning? I see your post here where you have mentioned llc can be used for deployment optimizer.

Would appreciate if you could elaborate on the above topic and if possible please share some relevant links/docs?

Thanks

Krish

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Neha,

Can someone provide me some material for MRP in ECC?

It appears that you overlooked the section in the Rules of engagement where it is stated you must first search before posting a question.  Did you search online help?  Start with

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_07/helpdata/en/f4/7d3f9344af11d182b40000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member382625
Participant
0 Kudos

I already checked the material in the link you have shared.

However, the link does not suggest anything specific to MRP in ECC.

I am looking for some material specifically to learn MRP in ECC.

Best Regards,

Neha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Neha,

EVERYTHING in the link is specific to MRP in ECC.

Look at the items in the left hand pane.  Expand each of them.  Open the details.  Read.  Rinse and repeat.

Best Regards,

DB49