cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Installing Packages From Command Line

Former Member
0 Kudos

We recently upgraded our GUI from 710 to 730 and I ran into this odd problem.  If I run the installer manually I am able to select my package and it installs fine.  However, if I run it via command line the app starts, I can see the flash screen and it says something about checking some XML files then the app just quits.  No error, no warning.  I tried installing a specific Product and that works fine.

To sum up, these work fine:

\\store1\apps\GUI730\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe

\\store1\apps\GUI730\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /noDlg /Product="SAPGUI710"

This does not:

\\store1\apps\GUI730\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /noDlg /Package="xxxPACKAGENAMExxx"

However I can run the installation manually and then select my package and it installs fine.

Any ideas?  I'd appreciate any help!

Justin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Justin,

We're using package installations via the command-line without any problem, using essentially the same syntax in the call that you are, including the /nodlg option (I prefer it to /silent, as I want the users to know what's going on).

Which version of the sapsetup program are  you using?  The latest patch for sapsetup 9.0 is 38, so first off, I'd make sure you've applied that patch to your installation server, although I'm not particularly aware that your symptom was a problem in earlier patch levels.

If you have the latest sapsetup patch, then it would probably be helpful to check the sapsetup logs on a workstation after you try it and it fails.  The logs are saved in C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\SapSetup\LOGs (for a 64-bit machine), or C:\Program Files\SAP\SapSetup (for a 32-bit machine), and should have names like NwSapSetup.log, etc. Depending on options you use, one execution of the nwsapsetup program can generate several logs that overlap each other on timestamps.  I suspect you'll find the reason the program ends the way it does in the nwsapsetup log file.

Best regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks Matt!  The log files helped.  Our old package names had a comma in them.  SAPSetup 8 didn't care about that.  However SAPSetup 9 caused the installer to split the package name at the comma.  Looks like other people have had the same problem:

http://v05iexit.benxbrain.com/en/sap/table/CORE-NWSapSetup-crashes-7.20-&-7.30-thread-1-3255266.htm

It also looks like a SAPSetup patch has fixed the issue.  Unfortunately we terminated SAP Support in favor of third party support and when I ran through and grabbed all the latest updates I missed the SAPSetup update.  Kicking myself for that one.  Ah well.  Removal of the commas fixed the issue.

Thanks again!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Justin

We have installed the New SAPGUI by using the below script more than 1000 pc's in our network(By using SCCM & ADS)

Kindly go thru the below mention bat  file

cd\
c:
taskkill /IM saplogon.exe /F
taskkill /IM saplgpad.exe /F

# used for kill the SAPGUI logon pad

cd Program Files\sap\SapSetup\setup

nwsapsetup /uninstall /all /nodlg

# Stop the all Old sapgui
cd\

cd program files\sap
move FrontEnd old1_FrontEnd1

# rename the old folder

net use s: /delete
net use s: \\(server share)\SAPGUI_730 (Example share volume )

S:\SAPGUI730\NW_7.0_Presentation\PRES1\GUI\WINDOWS\WIN32\Setup\NwSapSetup.exe /Silent /Package="SAPGUI_730"

# Create the New installation package

net use s: /delete

Thanks

Ram