Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many admistrators are requiered for user and roles

h3n
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am looking for an recommendation for user and role administration. Has SAP published a recommendation how many employees are needed for role and user administration? I have nothing found in the SAP Notes and the SCN. I am looking for a recommendation with 500 to 1000 SAP users.

Can someone help me?

Regards Henning

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are lots of variables which make it hard to give guidelines - number of environments, amount of project activity, staff turnover, maturity & complexity of role design, regulatory requirements (e.g. FDA will increase effort over & above no regs or simple stuff like SOX).

Very generally I would expect there to be 1 admin for 500-1000 users assuming a 3 tier landscape and ECC, BW and maybe one other module.  As Steve has mentioned I would also expect them to be doing other activities.  Typically there will be one or two other people who can provide cover during times of unavailability.

Cheers.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

The answer to this question depends on many things. For instance, what is your staff turnover like? How often does your organisation restructure internally and need roles to be redesigned? Which components/modules of SAP software are you using?

As a datapoint, we have about 900 users and user/role management is carried out by just one person, with others available to cover absences, etc. That one person has other duties also, so it certainly isn't a full-time job.

We are a fairly settled implementation, though, having been live 14 years now. And we are an ERP-only site, with no portals, BW or other systems to manage access for. I would expect there to be far more changes to users and roles in a new implementation, as it beds down and people figure out how they should be using it. And if you use more applications, access will be correspondingly more complex. Consequently there would be more work, and perhaps the need for more people.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not aware SAP has set up guidelines for this. If I can remember correctly from a SAP security scan some years ago (performed by SAP) they stated that the user and role development may not be done by the same person. Otherwise a new user can be created and all authorizations can be assigned to this user. So to answer your question, at least two persons.

The number of role managers and user manager can vary. It depends on the size of your organization and how stable your role concept is. If you have many authorizations requests per day because of an newly implemented role concept you'll need more role managers. If your organizations is deperated on many locations/countries it can be useful to have local user managers and a central role manager.

Meta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henning,

Three security guys are required in order to correctly practise security services (1. User Creation. 2. Role Creation, 3. Role assignment to users). This was you don't give one individual all the privileges i.e. create user, create a role and assign it to the user. This makes execution of task efficient and every individual responsible for what they are appointed as. Now, if you have multiple modules implemented then you need more resources to manage them because having multi skilled people manage security for other modules gives them more privileges, there is one way to handle this is by using EAM via GRC.

Nagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no thumb rule to decide the no. of security administrators over no. of users to be maintained in SAP. It would depend on ample of parameters like security role design, user provisioning tools etc.

Most of the companies now are seeing IDM as a holistic solution for user provisioning. In such scenarios security admin work would be more towards role maintenance instead of user provisioning.

I can answer your question in a better way if you can elaborate on the SAP environment you are working.

Thanks, Nitin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are lots of variables which make it hard to give guidelines - number of environments, amount of project activity, staff turnover, maturity & complexity of role design, regulatory requirements (e.g. FDA will increase effort over & above no regs or simple stuff like SOX).

Very generally I would expect there to be 1 admin for 500-1000 users assuming a 3 tier landscape and ECC, BW and maybe one other module.  As Steve has mentioned I would also expect them to be doing other activities.  Typically there will be one or two other people who can provide cover during times of unavailability.

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henning

Various constraints which we need to see in this scenario are

1. Landscapes

2. No of Users

3. What are the primary activities that are involved.

4.Importantly Client business ( Local or Global)

1.For landscapes more than 3 , like (CRM ,BW ,HR ,ECC, PI etc) you need definitely more than 2 administrators

2. Administrators for no of users depends on activities, If password resets requests are done by administrators , then for 500 -1000 it should be 2 full time and 1 may be part time

3.If your client or business is global and customers are around the globe , then you may require minimum of 3 administrators

our business is global (US , Europe , China , India and Japan )and we have 4 system landscape , we have 4 + 1 administrators

I hope this helps you