cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SLD and SAP AS Java in NWDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new to SAP  and currently am using NWDS 7.3 in my project for developing applications.

Can anyone please give the difference between SLD and SAP AS JAVA used in NWDS?

Thanks,

Murali Krishnan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Murali,

Basically SLD and SAP AS JAVA are two different things. SLD is the System Landscape Directory which holds all system, product and software component information of all systems involved in a technical landscape. SLD can be installed as part of SAP Process Integration for example or independently.

SAP AS Java is the Web Application Server Java. This is basically the technical basis for all Java-based SAP products, for example SAP Process Orchestration, SAP NWDI.

NWDS in the end is only the frontend for developing on SAP PI, SAP BPM together with NWDI.

Does this answer your question? If not please let me know.

Best Regards

Harald

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

that settings in NWDS has actually difference from that point of view whether you want to do direct deployments (AS JAVA) or you want to do Team Development via Tracks and do central build, central deployment, etc (I mean the SLD setting inside window -- preferences -- Development Infrastructure -- System Landscape Directory).

Further, SLD is important because here is where the Software Catalog is held. This is where you start your development by creating your product.

SLD also important from Name Reservation point of view as it can act like a name server to ensure no naming conflict occur when you say create a new DC name in your NWDS.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am new to NWDS

Can you please tell me what is the difference between direct deployment, Central build and deployment?

Also explain the below part

Further, SLD is important because here is where the Software Catalog is held. This is where you start your development by creating your product.

SLD also important from Name Reservation point of view as it can act like a name server to ensure no naming conflict occur when you say create a new DC name in your NWDS.

Regards,

Murali Krishnan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

1. With the build and deployment processes, you compile the developed sources and copy them to the relevant SAP J2EE Engine. Direct deployment is, as far as I know, the deployment of the developments directly to the J2EE Engine where you are connected to, without taking any development configurations (from NWDI) into account. Central deployment is when you are using development configurations (created via NWDI) in which you can define a system to which the developments should be deployed to. Both build and deploy is handled via this development configuration.

2. SLD

SLD contains all information of your system landscape, including the Technical Systems as well as the installed Products and Software Component Versions on these systems. In order to allow development via NWDS, for example PI developments or BPM developments, you need to have a software component version (SWCV) available which you import from SLD into NWDS. This SWCV hold all your developments. You can create these SWCVs yourself in SLD and assign it to the approriate Product and Technical System where you want to develop on.

The name reservation can be used to ensure that different developments do not use the same name spaces which can result in naming conflicts between different developments.

Best Regards

H.