cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Intelligence server running out of memory. ERR_WIS_30285 - Linux

0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve the error below which our customer has reported. They get this error when they run a particular report which yields a very large data.

Error: The Web Intelligence server is running out of memory, your document has been closed. If the problem persists, contact your BusinesssObjects administrator. (Error: ERR_WIS_30285)

Business Objects XI 3.1 version : 12.5.0.1190

Users running the report : 1

We have already tried the following but the issue persists:

1. File Store Timeouts
  2. Universe Execution Time – Changed both Universes, since I had no idea which one the report was in.
  3. WebIntelligenceProcessingServer Connection Timeout
  4. WebIntelligenceProcessingServer command line change
  5. WebIntelligenceProcessingServer Memory changes:

I searched for other suggestions but they seem to be meant for Windows environments. I need a solution for Linux based BO install.

Any help will be great. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

More info:

1. The user is able to run the same report for shorter durations i.e. 1 week, 1 month, 2 months & anything less than 4 months.

Note: The error used to show up even for 3 months duration at first but after the above WebiProc server changes were introduced, the report works for 3 months but the error shows up for 4 months & onward duration now.

2. I asked the user for before & after, memory & CPU usage on the server when he runs the report for 4 months duration. This is what I got:

Any ideas what the above stats mean ?

Thanks in advance,

Srinivas Marripudi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Can you please check the Memory Maximum Threshold and and Memory Upper Threshold server properties of Web Intelligence server having PID 11774, as Durga mentioned, keep it to maximum as 2000.

Also, you should be able to get the exact error by enabling the -Trace in the command line parameters of the Web Intelligence server.

Regards,

Srinivas

0 Kudos

Thanks Srinivas.

Max & Memory Threshold properties are already set at 2000, as mentioned in my earlier post.

I have asked the user to turn on tracing on both server (Linux) and Webi Rich Client (Windows). Also asked them to collect heap memory usage levels when the large report is run.

Will post more details soon.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

We had the same issue , the only difference is on Windows.

Here is what I did...

We had let user to run the report and watched webi userver process. We were able to see that it constantly increase the memory until it reaches max threshold limit and failed with out of memory error.

As per design, webi processing server may not  release all memory that was used but it will reuse the same memory for new process. But in some environment, this will create out of memory if u run large reports.

In my case, after restarting the webi server, report ran fine and it consumed 1.4 of memory.

Now we are in the processing of increasing threshold to 1.8 Gb and advising  users to use filters to avoid read unwanted data.

Hope this help.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks Raj.

Fortunately, out of memory issue has not occurred for a while. Since it's our standard report, the customer wants us to carry out some performance testing on it, as the report takes too long to run due to the size of the data being extracted.

We have a call pending with the customer tomorrow. I will update the post, once we have fixed this problem or at the least, succeeded in improving the performance of the report.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srini,

Did you come out of this problem? what helped to resolve? We have similar issue on a SuseLinux box which runs on VM .

Our is a 4.1 SP2 Patch 04 with 32 GB of RAM 4 core CPU but 1 Webi Processing Server.

It gives Illegal Access viewer error when you try to open any Webi Document.

We checked,Webi Processing and APS and all are running.

Memory Maximum Threshold (MB)" set to 6000

After the WebiProcessingServer restart the system behave normal.

Not sure whether we should increase the number of Processing Server as i read somewhere the Golden Rule says Per CPU core one Webi Processing Server. So, in our case it should be 4? Confused....

If someone can share any idea, that would help.

thanks,

Tilak

0 Kudos

Hi Tilak,

Unfortunately, the problem is still going on. Further investigation revealed the sql for the report works fine when directly executed on the database but it fails when the Webi report executes it.

The changes (discussed above) were applied, but they didn't make any huge difference to the performance in our case. The out of memory error still occurs.

Recent discussions with SAP technical support, suggests that BO should work fine with out-of-box configuration settings. There is no need for any memory or performance tuning unless it is highly desired.

You should only add more Webi servers if you have multiple users running large reports. It helps in load balancing. Otherwise, there is no need. You can have upto 1 Webi Server per CPU core with memory allocation -> min 2GB to max 5GB.

If you have an APS (Adaptive Processing Server) then it should be allocated 4GB min (as recommended by SAP agent).

As per your error, I'm not sure if its the same as mine. We are using BO XI 3.1 FixPack 5.6.

Is this a brand new install ? What is the BO install path ? What is the full error you are getting ?

IllegalAccessViewer error sounds like it is to do with incorrect license key. Make sure you are using the correct BO license key. Update the key & then check the servers. Restart them if they get disabled automatically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

thanks for your input.

Yes, incase it's a small scale install BO out-of-box configuration should work.

In our case we are on BI 4.1 SP2 Patch4 and source is BW.

The users run query which sometimes bring 2.3 mio records which is unfortunate.

But the expecatation is BI 4.1 should able to handle this load because there is no memory limitations compared to 32 bit BO 3.1 s/w.

In our case, the server goes down pretty frequently because of this high data volume. Our is a brand new install running on Linux VM. 32 GB Ram.

Currently we have 1 Webi Processing server  with 6GB Maximum Threshold value. I read/heard somewhere that you don't need to have multiple Webi processing server in 4.1 based on the golden rule 1 WebiProcessing per CPU core. We have 4 CPUs dedicated.

Not sure, should i add 2 more or 3 more CPUs for a better performance in the same server?

We have separate APS running for different application.

Though the error says "Illegal" but after restarting the Webi Processing server. The reports ran fine.

So, now i suspect whether BI 4.1 is good at memory releasing? Any idea?

0 Kudos

Hi Tilak,

Was this issue solved eventually?  We have the same issue (OOM) now on Sbop 4.1 SP7.

Thanks,

Jian

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure if you have checked note 1538502 or not which describes your issue.

Resolution Steps:

1. File Repository Servers:-
    Input Server: Maximum Idle Time : 60 Minutes (CMC-->servers-->Input File Repository Server)                                                     
    Output Server: Maximum Idle Time : 60 Minutes (CMC-->servers-->Output File Repository Server)
  2. Universe - Timeout parameter limit in the Universe - set this in Designer
    Open the designer > import the universe. Click File > Parameters, select the controls tab, increase the Limit execution time to 60 minutes.
  3. WebIntelligenceProcessingServer Connection Timeout - This is set in the CMC > Servers > WebIntelligenceProcessingServer (Default is 20 mins , please make it 60 mins) .
  4. Command Line Timeout Parameters for WebIntelligenceProcessing server - right click to Properties and edit the command line and add the following at the end :                                                                                                  
    -requesttimeout 3600000 (This is in milliseconds, so 60mins). Then restart the servers.
  5. In the Central Management Console (CMC) go to the Servers page Select WebIntelligenceProcessingServer. Increase the values for these two properties:
    Memory Maximum Threshold: set to 2000
    Memory Upper Threshold: set to 2000.

How long the report use to run when it was running fine and how many rows typically fetches?

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

"The Web Intelligence server is running out of memory, your document has been closed. If the problem persists, contact your administrator. (Error: ERR_WIS_30285) (WIS 30285)"

Since you are already on BOXI3.1 SP5, most of the Webi memory issues are addressed and fixed prior to that.

The BOXI3.1 WIReportServer is a 32-bit application running on a 32-bit OS; thus, its application space is limited to a 2GB boundary.  In fact, the WIReportServer cannot go beyond 1.9 GB and it would crash and the allocated memory will be recycled by the Windows OS.

You may apply -nocrheapalloc to the WIReportServer as it is using dynamic memory allocation and the hoard library is not able to recover/free the allocated memory space.

1. Add -nocrheapalloc switch to the command line to the WIReportServer property in CMC
  2. Use default upper threshold to 1500 MB and max threshold to 1800 MB, and
  3. Restart the WIReportServer

Note this may only give you marginal space.

As you indicate that "They get this error when they run a particular report which yields a very large data", it is better if you ask your report developer to narrow down the range of the data to be fetched in this BOXI3.1 SP5 environment, or consider to run this Webi report on a BI4.1 environment WIReportServer (6 GB by default), where it is 64-bit OS.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

0 Kudos

Thanks for the replying.

Yes, the above steps were implemented. Then the user executed

"ccm.sh -stop all / ccm.sh -start all" but the user still experiences the same issue. I'm assuming this report was running fine before. 

At the moment ,the report is extracting 4 months data (300 cases per day). I have asked the user to extract data for shorter duration as a test & let me know. Awaiting response.

0 Kudos

Hi Jin-Chong,

The user is using RedHat EL 6.4 64-bit, does that mean WIReport Server still uses 32-bit i.e. 2GB application on Linux ?

Sorry, I'm a newbie. I could not find WIReportSever under CMC-> Servers. I could only locate Report Application server, which didn't have the '-nocrheapalloc' & threshold options you wanted me to apply. Could you please send me the instructions in detail for BO XI 3.1 SP5 for Linux.

Many thanks in advance,

Srinivas Marripudi

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Xi3.1 is a 32bit product. no matter which OS you use. BI4.x is 64bit.

You need to look for webi intelligence processing server, if you do not have one in CMC, your webi won't work.

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Dennis is right.

From CMC -> Service Categories -> Web Intelligence.  Then open a WIReportServer property and goto the "Command Line Parameters"

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

0 Kudos

Thanks Denis for the info. Something to keep in mind !!

0 Kudos

Hi Jin-Chong,

I really appreciate your help. I have passed on your suggestion to the user. Will post the result of this change when I get back the update .

Thank you very much,

Srinivas Marripudi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Our environment runs on Suse Linux 11 with 2 cluster nodes. BI 4.1 SP2 Patch 4.

24GB of memory for each node.

Master node has 2 Webi Processing Service and slave has 1 Webi Processing Server with Max Threshold Mem set to default 6 GB.

The user is extracting <6GB from BW query . We were told by SAP , 4.1 doesn't have any memory restriction.

But why do our Webi processing server starts, fails, stalls , go for Out of Memory

Users are frustrated with this. They thought most of their memory related pain of 3.1 will go away but now looks like NO.

Please advise.

james_batchelor2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

you changed the Heap size on the Webi Proc Server?  Do you physically have the RAM needed to have the server run with a large heap?

note heap size on CVOM and Webi proc Server....check threads for Sizing and HEAP size changes

jim

0 Kudos

Hi James,

The Server has 4GB of memory with 4GB of Swap. So far, below are the settings applied for WebI Proc server :

1. WebIntelligenceProcessingServer Connection Timeout - This is set in the CMC > Servers > WebIntelligenceProcessingServer (Default is 20 mins , please make it 60 mins) .
  2. Command Line Timeout Parameters for WebIntelligenceProcessingServer - right click to Properties and edit the command line and add the following at the end:
    -requesttimeout 3600000 (This is in milliseconds, so 60mins). Then restart the servers.
  3. In the Central Management Console (CMC) go to the Servers page Select WebIntelligenceProcessingServer. Increase the values for these two properties:
    Memory Maximum Threshold: set to 2000
    Memory Upper Threshold: set to 2000.

I have asked user for more details on server behaviour when the report is run. I will update you here when I have it.

Do you have further recommendations ?

Thanks,

Srinivas Marripudi