Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks : Material in Assembly tree

former_member192883
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

With SAP and Solidworks integration, I am able to rename the part and assembly files with document number, version etc.

I would like to add material numbers generated for this assembly on the CAD desktop to assembly tree in Solidworks.

are they any settings available for this requirement? I couldn't find anything in the interface though. 

Anyone went through this process before ?

Please let me know

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mohan,

I believe it would be a better solution to use the Material Number itself in the CAD Files as file name and push the File name info from the CAD assembly structure initially into the Doc Structure in the CAD Desktop. Pass on the CAD file name info into Classification value and Use this Value for Automatic Material Creation inside the CAD View. This configuration can be done in CDESK customization. Once you get all Materials created for the assembly in single click, you can proceed to create the Automatic BOM for the same. The data which needs to be populated from CAD to SAP and from SAP to CAD can be configured using the combination of CDESK customization and CAD Interface Partners supplied files.

If you would like to pass on Material Info from CAD Desktop, I would like to understand how you are creating the Material ? Is it manual or automatically generated from CAD Desktop with Create Material at background option ?

To pass on Material Master info from CAD Desktop back to CAD Structure, I think you need to pass on the object linked material info somehow to DIR Classification value and sync the value of DIR into Solid work properties and later bring this info in the assembly structure of CAD. Let me know if it works.

I would like to know the Business Scenario , the requirement in detail to comment more on this thread.

Thanks,

SM

former_member192883
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Sudharashan,

Thanks for your reply. 

The scenario is, files names are not named as the material numbers in the CAD files. To rename the files I have "<DOKNR>_<DOKAR>_<DOKTL> "  on standard callbacks under CAD Desktop inside the interface option.  This setting will rename the files with document number, document type and part that I created on CAD Desktop .

I would like to add materials numbers to the CAD files along with the above information right when I create them on the CAD Desktop using "Create in Background" option .

Could you please explain a little bit more on,

" To pass on Material Master info from CAD Desktop back to CAD Structure, I think you need to pass on the object linked material info somehow to DIR Classification value and sync the value of DIR into Solid work properties and later bring this info in the assembly structure of CAD. Let me know if it works." 

Thank you

Mohan