cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman DAA in HA (Agents-On-The-Fly Configuration)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

Recently, I have started configuring Diagnostic Agents for a High Availability environment, and ... even though I have been searching and reading the documentation, there's a question that remains unanswered.

To start with, this is my current configuration:

One physical host A (physA)

One physical host B (physB)

One virtual hostname for the central instance ABAP (ciabap)

One virtual hostname for the central database instance (cidb)

So as per the documentation, I have installed one DAA in each of the physical hosts (physA and physB). I have done the solman_setup-->managed system configuration --> hosts --> configured host for physA & physB and activated the "Agent-On-The-Fly" configuration.

daaadm 21340 21336  0  Oct  1  ?        45:01 /usr/sap/DAA/SMDA96/exe/jstart -appTrc -nodeId=1 pf=/usr/sap/DAA/SYS/profile/DAA_SMDA96_physA -hostvm -nodeName=smdagent_SAP

daaadm 21338 21336  0  Oct  1  ?        50:14 /usr/sap/DAA/SMDA96/exe/jstart -appTrc -nodeId=3 pf=/usr/sap/DAA/SYS/profile/DAA_SMDA96_physA -hostvm -nodeName=smdagent_SAP

daaadm 21341 21336  0  Oct  1  ?        50:22 /usr/sap/DAA/SMDA96/exe/jstart -appTrc -nodeId=0 pf=/usr/sap/DAA/SYS/profile/DAA_SMDA96_physA-hostvm -nodeName=smdagent -fi

daaadm 21337 21336  0  Oct  1  ?        43:58 /usr/sap/DAA/SMDA96/exe/jstart -appTrc -nodeId=4 pf=/usr/sap/DAA/SYS/profile/DAA_SMDA96_physA-hostvm -nodeName=smdagent_zar

daaadm 18031  9978  1 10:13:05 pts/2     0:00 grep node

daaadm 21339 21336  0  Oct  1  ?        44:29 /usr/sap/DAA/SMDA96/exe/jstart -appTrc -nodeId=2 pf=/usr/sap/DAA/SYS/profile/DAA_SMDA96_physA-hostvm -nodeName=smdagent_SAP

As you can see, after doing the configuration, I can see that certain node processes have been created & certain folders that correspond to the nodes of the servers in /usr/sap/DAA/SMDAXX/

To my questions...

1.- I have NO IDEA and it is NOT EXPLAINED ANYWHERE why when it creates the nodes, it creates ANOTHER node for its own physical hostname with the following name: physA_hb

I have done this configuration for 2 HA environments, and both times, it has created another node for the physical servers with the "_hb" appended to the end.

Why is this????

2.- So after activation the DAA Agent-On-The-Fly configuration, you should have 1 DAA running in each physical node (A&B) and you should have as well created nodes for the CI instances (abap & db).

What do I do in the Managed System Configuration in Solman_Setup? Because in the section to "Assign Diagnostic Agent".... Should I assign anything? Or this section can be avoided after doing the "Configure Host-->Activate Agent-On-The-Fly" option?

Because I don't think it would make sense to assign the physical DAA of the nodes because simply it doesn't make sense and it defeats the purpose of agents on the fly.

Also, it wouldn't make sense to assign the CI node to itself since it is stemmed from the configuration of the physical host, and if it fails, it will start up as a new node in the other physical host with a different instance number & hostname.

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Pablo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can say, SAP running on Windows does not replicate this issue (at least not in my environment), it does SMDAgent_SAP<SID>, perhaps a unix/linux specific requirement?

As for what else to do in SolMan after configuring the physical host as a diag-on-the-fly you then need to bind the other systems running on the host to their "virtual" names.

If we go with my agent setup for ECC of SMDAgent_SAPECC (ECC being an example SID), then in SolMan there should be a new entry under the host tab referencing the SAPECC part.  Even though I set these to virtual also, something keeps flipping them back to a Logical host (haven't seen any repercussions due to this).

Now when you go back to your Technical systems tab, and review the LMDB data for the system you should have an association between the technical system and the "physical" host aka the Diag-on-the-fly agent.

What do you have show up in your SMD Admin page for the Diag-on-the-fly agent, it should of created additional systems there also; and I'm curious to know if that _hb suffix shows up there like it does on the file system???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all, sorry, this is a HP-UX, I should've said it first thing.

First of all, the "_hb" suffixes seem to come from some "odd" configuration on /etc/hosts in our systems. I have asked systems team and they will look into it.

I have checked in other HA which I also installed the DAA's, and there are also some odd "_hb" entries... Anyway, I think I will be able to resolve this no problem.

So yes, when I enabled the "Agent-On-The-Fly" configuration for the Physical Host A & Physical Host B, I can see that there are new agents (which are really nodes) created in the SMD Admin.

Kind regards.

Answers (0)