cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use MS SQL 2014 with SAP instead HANA. Can I do that? and How can I do? I need a highlevel scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a requirement to replace the underlying HANA db with SQL 2014 to use with SAP. How can I do that? And is SAP using Sybase now?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Iranga,

SQL Server 2014 is NOT support by BI 4.1. w/ SP1, the latest release of BI4.

See below

View Full BI 4.1 w/ SP1 PAM

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41355

Regards,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

Thanks for the comment. I just needed to know cant we use SQL Server as the datasource of SAP? Not only for the BI.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

i think you need to take a step back and ask yourself if this a realistic requirement.

As pointed out above, that version isn't supported. it's not been validated as compatible (yet) . That closes the door on this question.

Secondly, why would you replace an accelerated HANA platform, by substituting an inferior RBDMS technology?  No i don't think it's really feasible anyhow -  How are you proposing to preserve your existing investment? (i.e. the content you've already developped on HANA)

If however, you're talking about extracting data from MSSQL into a HANA newDB instance - then that would be feasible, but let's say again: 2014 isn't supported with BO/BI .

Regards,

H

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you know, there's a universe landscape migration wizard in IDt which takes relational UNX from various vendor RDBMS, and ports them over to HANA newDB.  but there isn't a wizard to do the reverse.

* my reply below discusses the principle, not the feasibility. *

I take it you've got a Universe based on HANA ?   that will contain a Foundation which maps to x number of tables from the Schema.   You'll need to recreate this HANA table schema in MSSQL first .

then you'll need to recreate the IDT Foundation (ontop of a new MSSQL connection) . and then map the existing business layer (universe outline) to the updated Foundation.

Of course, what I don't discuss, is how you are proposing to swap out 'newDB' from your HANA landscape and replace it with MSSQL .  this won't work IMO.

Which Sybase do you mean? ASE or IQ?    ASE is used in BI 4.1 as the CMS. and IQ is used as a DW alternative to BW, and is used by other analytics tools like Lumira.

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I am bit confused. If we want to replace the underlying database of SAP to MS SQL cant it be done? I just want to link the SAP with MS SQL. DO we have to create ETLs to load the data to MS SQL while the underlying database is there?