cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEM - understanding severity levels in the alerts tab

Former Member
0 Kudos

SCN pals,

We are doing EEM. We are on solman 7.1 SP06.

I have a question surrounding the "Alerting" step in the End-User Experience guided procedure.

If you go to Solman, tcode solman_workcenter --> pick the solution manager configuration tab --> then Technical monitoring button on left --> then End-User Experience radio button --> then step 5 "Alerting"

after that go to the "scripts" tab --> select scripts (recording)

From there, click on the "Alerts" tab that shows up under the list of scripts. you will see a box that says 2 things:

"propogation from Script-Execution to Script - (category) availablity, Severity = 8"

"propogation from Script-Execution to Script - (category) performance, Severity = 6"

See below screen shot!

I've checked SAP help on EEM, the EEM wiki, any SCN threads related to EEM....etc.

But no where does it explain what this is, what it means in regard to EEM and how to change it.

Could you please expand on what this is and how it relates to Alerting in EEM?

thanks,

NICK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

You might be missed this eem_alertpropagation - End-User Experience Monitoring - SCN Wiki

Details are stated very clearly above.

Let me know that clarified you?

Regards

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jansi,

If you think anything in that URL is "clear", you must be a rocket scientist.

It says nothing about the "severity" level (the 8 vs 6) defined in my original screen shot. 

the url says something about a " Unified Alert Index" and maybe that's it, but again, I have no idea what a  Unified Alert Index is.....or how it relates to EEM, or how to change it.

I've opened a message.  so far, all I've gotten back for my various issues for EEM is the following:

it's a bug

it's fixed is sp09

sorry but it doesn't work that way.....

I'm not too thrilled with the product, once you really truly get down to using it for any kind of automated alerting based on defined thresholds.

NICK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

The URL which I given can easily understand. The only worst thing that the words the author used in the wiki might create big trouble,  its also typo n wiki, it should be unified alert inbox, fine.

i could help for better understanding,

1. EEM only help for verify 2 posiblities, there are "Availablity and Performance", eem robots with same script scheduled and running on each of company location.

2. Each script has some script execution steps, during editing of scripts we can remove the steps which we feel nt needed, we can define check for steps and also we can also define variable for each steps. Hope you can understand Script and Script Execution Steps.

3. Script Execution Steps result status will impact on the overall result status of Script.

4. Now we can look point 3 in "Availablity and Performance"  perspective.

- Availablity is nothing but your System Availablity, if you have 3 Robots running in 3 differnt location, same script is schduled in all these 3 robots, the script is failing in only one Robot, rest of the Robots the script is running fine, This states clearly that My SAP system (back end) is UP and RUNNING fine, So Alert Inbox wont create any alert for Availablity scenario, Thats the reason default availablity has best case Propagation ( Pic 1 in the wiki), means any one is green, make endup result green,

- In case of  Performance, its totally different, in anyone of the location, any one of the robot is reporting red or yellow, it should be notified to you, so alert triggered to your inbox. (Pic 2 in the wiki), this is worst case propagation, means any one s red, make endup result red.  Now think this scenario, i am running the script every 5 min in all the 3 location, robot 2 is reported yellow only in 2nd 5 min, after that its become green, and there is no problem, means 3rd , 4t min script execution is green, so if we stick to Pic 2 method, it unncessaryly create alert in your inbox,  to avoid unnecessary creation of alerts, I could limit further, Stating if and only continous 3 execution of script has performance issue, then create alert. ( Pic 3) , As per Pic 3, if you any of the performance issue contionuly 3 times subsequent execution any of the robots then you get alert.

If you dont want the SAP Standard rule definition, you go to Global tab and Change which of the other things you wanted to set instead of default best and worst case scenario,

- Alert severity very common in Technical operations, its help to create prio based alerts, refer here

SysMon FAQ 07 - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

Please check.

Thanks

jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate your responses but unfortunately, none of it really pertains to what I wanted to know, just based on my original question and screen shot.

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

No worries, its all abt perception .... you can try..

Good Luck

Thx

Jansi