cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing VRML (.wrl) Files into SAP VEA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have received a CAD model containing an animation that has been saved as a .wrl file.  I do not want the animation, just the original assembly.

The resulting model when opened in VEA has many of the components rotated or translated (often both at the same time).

It appears that much of the item positioning information is wrong.

For some of the items, it looks as if SAP VEA is opening with the item in its position at the end of the animation.

is there a way I can force VEA to import the starting locations not the end location?  Could I get the originator of the file to save it differently?

I also received an xml file to accompany the model which contains details of the animation.  I have not used this yet.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vic,

WRL files have lots of ways to have animations embedded in them. They can be triggered all sorts of ways. It would be helpful to know where it is being saved from but if you just want all of them gone you can achieve that. As long as the parts are in the correct position at some point.

Look at the Animation panel to see of there is one or more animation on the models. Each individual sequence can be fast forwarded or rewound independently. Using the Animation Controls you can scrub through the animation or animations individually. Once you get the model looking on screen they way you want you can delete all animations and the parts will remain in the current position. You can do this from the Animation Panel.  (It is also possible to remove it per selected object(s) from the RMB menu.) Also you can choose to save the file to .rh format without animations and it will achieve the same thing. In this panel you can also reverse animations if you want to save them. If you want to create a procedure the animations can be drag and dropped to steps to allows triggering of animations and achieving step-by step.

You can ask for the file to be saved without animations as well if that is an option.

Animation Panel

Animation Controls

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Adam.

After a bit of investigation, I found that the files were created in Cortona.

The files open in the Cortona viewer with all items in the correct position and then animate from that neutral position.

When I open the .wrl file in SAP VEA there are no animations visible in the Animations pane.  Therefore none of your solutions will work as there are no animations to run back or to delete.  But the animations are present in the file as I can run them in the Cortona viewer.

Regards

Vic

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Vic,

Like most commercial animations systems Cortona has its own animation system that is not necessarily compatible with most other systems. Although they use .WRL(VRML) as a base their format, it is extended beyond the open specification and into basically a proprietary format. This makes translating between animations systems not trivial and not a supported technical workflow from Cortona. The animations would either need to be deleted before saving to .wrl or export to a format that doesn't include any animations. Animations usually override the initial position of objects in 3D scenes. This may be what is putting parts all over the place.

I would recommend loading from the native CAD files if possible.

If you would like us to have a look at what this custom development would entail I can start the process. Currently VE is compatible with animations with many systems like Maya, 3D Max, FBX, Collada, etc but not Cortona.

If you have a test file you can share with me directly I am happy to find a solution and create a workflow for you.

Regards,

-Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adam,

Thank you, I would I can let you have a test file but cannot post it on a public forum.  Could you email me on vic.steadman@aspirecl.com so that I send a file one to one.

Regards

Vic