mssql 2005 migrate to mmssql 2008r2
This is my first post here so bare with me.
I have a sandbox system abab/java running on win server 2008 r2.
This is a Distributed system dabase running on another host with sql 2005.
I would like to migrade the database to a new host sql 2008 r2 with backup/restore.
I´m looking for a guide for this, i know i need to use SWPM but i´m not sure where to find the option for restore/attach database.
You're right Vidar. It's not very clear at all.
Here's how I did it (although I used backup/restore to minimise downtime):
- Shutdown source SAP system.
- Create the DB directory locations on the target server.
- Ensure that you can logon with the <sid>adm user to the target server.
- Shutdown source DB.
- Detach source DB.
- Copy source DB files to target server.
- Attach source DB to target SQL Server instance (usual method).
- Launch SWPM (you will only need the 7.20 UC and NUC kernel parts, you do not need the SL controllers for this work).
- Go into the SWPM, MS SQL specific section, target DB and select post-system copy.
- The SWPM will run some checks, re-name the schema if it needs to (you don't need it), run some ABAP reports.
- At the end of the SWPM process, you continue with the post-system copy steps from the standard SAP document.
Message was edited by: Darryl Griffiths, more specific text.