cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS Provider recommendation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am a master Thesis Student and I am working on SAP TM 9.0. I am trying to set up a demo System.

For the calculation of the geocoordinates of Locations which GIS Provider can you recommend? Since SAP TM only offers the calculation on Country and area Level, I need another Provider because I am in need of very specific data.

Also would you recommend the use via Installation on a Server or via Web Service?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Jonas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member186731
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonas,

to setup a demo system I would probably go for free services available on the internet and implement a quick REST WebService.

Regards,

Marcus

0 Kudos

We had used PTV xServer (A third party). Postal addresses are converted to geo-coordinates.

Having said that, I would encourage you to have a look at PTV group site ( PTV AG)

Please evaluate products: PTV xServer internet and PTV xServer .net

Based on product you choose, you might have to go for Server installation or Web Service.

On a generic level:

For any GIS service provider, one would have to do due diligence so far as Cost / Benefit Analysis is concerned. Factors to be considered amongst others: Acceptable Accuracy of geo-coordinates calculated, SAP Verified Third Party Service provider (Y/N), Product development, Support for newer versions, frequency of upgrade, Installation support etc.

Would be interesting to know other GIS service providers and experiences of using them.

BR

Pramod Shet

0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

I have a question for you...

I have requested to the customer to buy the map, the customer does not own the gps and the trucks either.

How can I get the values of the real-time position of a truck and paint it into the SPA TM map-to-be adquired?

I think the best option for me is to make a kind of web service, Where the GPS Vendor of the Truck company publish the events or real-time coordinates.

I appreciate any comments.

Regards,

Marco Perez

former_member186731
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

here is a MKS on that topic: http://scn.sap.com/community/scm/transportation-management/blog/2012/12/10/monday-knowledge-snippet-...

The customers I know of used Web Services to get the data from the GPS.

Hope this helps,

Marcus