Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change logging for classification not same as other change loggings in SAP

sushanta_dash
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Dear Friends,

I have a question regarding the behaviour of SAP for change logging, when we make some change in characteristics values of a class in the classification view of MM record.

I see that the behaviour is quite strange.

Prior to going into detail, let me inform that, I have already activated the change logging for the class type & object in customization under "Cross application components".

I can view the change logs for any change in value for a characteristics of the class type 001. (Material class)

But in the changes the old value of characteristics is not shown many of the times.(Strangely sometime it shows the old values as well) Only new value what is being entered is shown.

If I remove the characteristics value, mean I make it blank. Then the change log doesn't show anything. I just can't understand why there is so much anomaly in the behaviour in which change is getting logged?

I have attached a screen shot of the logs for changes for your reference.

Note: Got one reference to this behaviour. But the lines are not understood properly.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/24/4764e4416711d189ec0000e81ddfac/content.htm

"

You can use change documents to find out when the classification of an

object was changed. You can no longer display the classification as it was"

Regards,

Sushanta

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hello Sushanta,

Could you explain how did you activate the change log via Cross Application Components.

Thanks ,

Akshaya

surya_prakash18
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sushanta,

As you mentioned, I am having same issue. i.e. Whenever I remove characteristic value from material master classification it is not logged in change document tables (CDHDR & CDPOS).

Have you resolved this issue?. Please provide your inputs.

Thanks,

Surya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Have you activated change documents ?

As for removing value to none , unfortunately change documents do not get created with the  old and new value for change ID's of type Insert or delete , only changes resulting in Update like the changing of a charactertics value from one value to another are shown in the change history.

This is standard design.

Regards

Amber

surya_prakash18
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Amber,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. Change documents are active for material classification.

I can see when a value is assigned to characteristic (insert), then change document is created. When characteristic value is made as none, change document is not created.

I have a requirement of sending characteristic changes (insert,update,delete) to other system. For delete I am not able to capture change. Is there any work around for this. Please suggest.

Thanks,

Surya

sushanta_dash
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Suriya,

I can understand your pain . Acutally this issue turned out to be a issue in the standard SAP product, which was in ECC6.0, EHP6 & SP05.

I got a reply from SAP saying, it's a consulting issue. But it's never a consulting issue as it's a bug due to certain SAP upgrade.

Fortunately our client went for SP08 upgrade, which resolved this issue automatically. And after upgrade system started registering all change of characteristics values including old & new value as well as deleted values.

We didn't have to take any additional effort for the same.

But another reason of this issue might be inconsistencies in characteristics table. My colleague investigated this & found some alternative solution, but I need to check it.

Regards,

Sushanta

surya_prakash18
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sushanta,

Thanks a lot for your inputs

Regards,

Surya

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sushanta dash,

You can use change documents to find out when the classification of an object was changed. You can no longer display the classification as it was.

Some times SAP help , need a help i can understand

Here it means , you can find logs of changes but its not possible to diaplay same classification on screen.

can you provide steps you are following for changing this values in MM02?

The first isntance is cleaer as value got created in MM01, then for other instances value again is showing as created but transaction shown is MM02,

so it seems like after your system time stamp  08.10.2013 12:52:31, this change logs started working fine.

check wheather all other changes are done using LSMW or BDC as part of data migration or correction in mass.

Check and revert back.

Thanks

Ritesh

sushanta_dash
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

Thanks for your help & inputs.

Steps I have done:

(1)First I created a material "TEST-CLASS" in MM01, during creation I maintained classification value "sat_additional" to "Strategically stocked" (Date & time stamp - 08.10.2013 12:08:11)

This change log is correct.

Change ID is "Created"

2) I changed the value to "Excess" through t.code MM02 here the chang log doesn't show me the deleted entry & only shows  the new entry created. (Date & time stamp-08.10.2013 12:09:11)

3) Further I removed the characteristics value to blank. - NO value

This change is not at all logged.

4) Then during further changes- Date & time stamp (08.10.2013 12:52:31)it logged the old value which is deleted & new value which is created.

Please refere the attached screen shot for the timestamp detail of change.

This behaviour is quite strange at two points above. Point 3- when the value was removed & point-4- When both values old & new are logged as deleted & created respectively.

Thanks for your help again. Let me know in case you need any further details

All the above changes are done in t.code MM02 beside the first one when it was created.

Regards,

Sushanta

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sushanta,

It looks perfect , I can also see for few instances the value entered is created but the old value which got deleted is not captured.

Material creation is happened after change log configuration completed and thats why all creation logs are captured.

It seems like , all deletion are not captured up to 08.10.2013 12:52:31, and after it system starts capturing all logs.

My suggestion is check with Basis team about memory issue, in past while doing some research i encountered same issue in IDES system, when i am trying to put some default value in material and save it, its getting save , but immedietly after in work flow i am getting message all changes done are getting reversed and the reson was less space available in data base. Basis team help me out that time.

Check and share your findings with group so that it will be helpful for others.

Thanks

Ritesh

sushanta_dash
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

Thanks again for your intrest & time to look & reply back.

I will definitely check with our basis consultant for suggestion regarding this issue, in the mean time I have raised this messsage to SAP as well. (as it doesn't seem to be standard SAP behaviour for change logging)

I will post the results.

Moreover the change logging is abrupt if you look at the last but one change in the screen shot it shows both creation & deletion under on change request number.  (Date time- 08.10.2013 12:52:31)

But the last change again doesn't show the record which is deleted. It only shows the record which is created. (Date & time-08.10.2013 13:41:14)

Just one more question, how the system was generating WFs for changes to MM record, through which you could know that all changes are getting reversed.

In normal case for any change in master data (MM in this case) there are no WFs, which gets triggered.

Regards,

Sushanta

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sushanta,

You are wlecome.

Regarding work flow , It seems its a part of standard SAP where  program is reverting back changes saved earlier, as in my case the issue was data base space thast why even though all validations in program are copleting sucessfuly , system was not able to save changes due to less space. It was not activated by me and i am sure even my any colluge too , as its was a fresh IDEA's box .

I will wait for update what SAP replied for your issue, it will be helpful for others too , who may face same issue in future.

Also , if you find replies helpfull , please mark them helpfull as it add credits to my account.

Thanks

Ritesh

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just come across , below note , please check if its valid for you.

Note 1720168 - Classification data changes are not reflected in changedocs

Thanks

Ritesh

sushanta_dash
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ritesh,

Thanks for further inputs. I just checked above note but that's relevant for CRM-MD-BP (CRM area). Moreover it doesn't have any further details.

I don't think it's relevant.

I will definitely keep you posted regarding the reason of this behaviour. So that other people having the same issue will benefit from it.

Regards,

Sushanta