Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the Best Adoptable Way to Export The Universe

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

I am Working with Universe Designer Tool

and we are working in a Project which is starting from scratch

The thing is that we are applying few changes to the universe on a periodical Basis

Some times we need to revert back the changes what we have applied

So my Q.'n is that what is the best way to take the Back up of universe

1. Open the universe and from the File menu select save as and selecting the destination folder

2. Exporting the document to the Local folder on a system

What is the best way in the above mentioned methods and Is there any other way which can have better results

Please suggest me

Thanks in Advance .............

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Best way to keep copies is to use version management in cmc 4.0, which helps us to keep multiple copies of bo documents. You can roll back to older versions of your universe and if you want to come back to a latest version you can restore backup to the latest version.

Other option could be

Each time you do a change in universe file, export it to local folder.

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Ambreen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Both steps which you mentioned are different from each other. With step 1, you will create an updated local copy; however with step 2, you will upgrade the universe copy in repository.

While exporting universe, Designer automatically prompts the user to save the universe locally and similarly, while importing the universe, the local copy automatically get replaced with new version copy.

Therefore, we could avoid worrying about step 1 as per believe.

Talking about the development environment, there must be more that one developers working on the universe. Therefore, we must keep updated copy of universe in the repository. Also select all user groups while exporting the universe to avoid inconsistency.

Thing to keep in mind is, users should not update and export the universe concurrently, To avoid this, we trying locking the universe. To lock, click on Import and double click on the universe name.

This might help in concurrent updates/exports which will avoid universe corruption.

We should also take backups before modifying and exporting the universe.

Regards,

Yuvraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use Lifecycle Manager, this is one of things that it is designed for.

Years ago, I'd have recommended Visual Source Safe or something similar (pre XI days) but LCM does the job now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

I think it is better to opt for 2. Exporting the document to the Local folder on a system. As all users might have access to that. Otherwise if you save it in a particular destination folder others may not be knowing about the Universe at all.

Also you can Export the Universe to the CMS Repository and Import it back as and when you require to change anything.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Priyanka