cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read from DB via VDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have to read data from Database table via VDS. I have created VDS configuration to fetch data from DB. Data is also getting displayed within VDS in LDAP browser. Now I have to read from VDS and write to ID store. Will VDS push the data to ID store or I have to write Initial load job within IC to read from VDS? Can anyone tell me steps to read data from DB table to ID store? Do I need to create VDS repository within IC? Is there any sample?

Regards,

Dhiman Paul.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The easy way would be creating the VDS as repository (LDAP server) to IdM and create a job that reads the VDS to temp table by using "fromLDAP" pass and writes the data to IdM with "toIdentityStore" pass.

I haven't seen (but then again there is a lot that I haven't seen ) a way to trigger the VDS writing to IdM and in the HCM-integration scenario I guess the trigger for the write is deep in the Java-code of the VDS's HCM-integration template.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with you.

Regards,

Dhiman Paul.

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dhiman,

I'm wondering why you don't just create an IDM Job that will do a to Identity Store pass with the source defining your database.  I think this is what is referring to in his final comment above.  This would be much simpler and could also be scheduled via IDM.

Matt

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm wondering why you don't just create an IDM Job that will do a to Identity Store pass with the source defining your database.  I think this is what Per Krabsetsve is referring to in his final comment above.  This would be much simpler and could also be

I was wondering about that too, but we don't know the environment or requirements. It could be firewalls as Chris pointed out or LDAP browser offering a way for non-techie users to browse the data from DB in GUI without using SQL.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dhiman,

Since VDS is a "passive" component you can use an initial load as Tero suggested, or create job with a From LDAP pass doing something similar to pull the data out of the database into a temporary table in IdM, then one or more To IDStore pass(es) to write the data to the Identity Store.

I'm guessing you have some sort of network administration issue where access to the database through JDBC is not allowed through a firewall or a similar scenario.

Br,

Per Christian

normann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Dhiman,

Maybe you better describe first what you want to achieve. It is possible to write to an IC via VDS as the HCM template does but then why would you do that if you have access to the source table on DB level anyway? Why dont you just read from that table in the source tab of an toIdentityStore pass if you have access to it? If there is a reason why you have to put a VDS in between - as Tero have said - you use a fromLDAP pass but then again there you do not need a VDS to write into IDM.

If you want to automatically update changes from the DB table into an IC you should add an event agent on that table I would suggest.

Regards

Norman