Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating New User ID's in SAP

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are planning to implement a new user ID naming convention for our SAP users. Is there any way to automatically copy all the user ID specific/related settings like data entry screen variants (for example: users move around columns in a data entry screen), report layouts, SAP query user authorizations and any other settings into a new user ID?

I am given to understand that this can be done only manually. I unfortunately do not have SAP Security / Basis background to look in the right places and would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP's IDM technology may also be able to accomplish this, at the very least you could export the user's data and verify things before re-creating in-active or bad accounts...

21 REPLIES 21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

We can able to do the mass user creation using SU10 as well we can able to do it via SAP scripts.

Can you provide some more detail regarding your requirement?

Regards,

Raja. G

0 Kudos

Raja,

SU10 only allows you to copy the authorization data. I don't think it allows you to transfer user settings related to report layout, data entry screen layout, quickviewer (SAP query) user assignment. I am interested in transferring the user specific settings.

I am not aware of the SAP Scripts functionality.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can create an lsmw copying old uid's to new userid' s this will transfer all user data

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP's IDM technology may also be able to accomplish this, at the very least you could export the user's data and verify things before re-creating in-active or bad accounts...

0 Kudos

Thanks Billy. Does this require a separate license for IDM? If yes, it won't be in scope. Can IDM export settings related to screen and report layout?

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unsure, on both questions...

I would verify if you can pull up the installation: 

Installations and Upgrades - N" SAP NW IDENTITY MANAGEMENT

For the screen and report question, it could be worth your time to post that question under

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, IdM can't import stuff like report and ALV variants. You can import only what you can see in SU01.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

As of 7.31 you can use S_ALV_LAYR in the local system to define more context specific layout authorizations than what the legacy S_ALV_LAYO was capable of.

This means you can provision roles which authorize the ability to display or change layouts.

It also means that you can check the user's authorization remotely and then use the layout they are authorized for.

But that is just theory which enbables an option, It still belongs in customizing or a restrsicted group of admins who can access it IMO.

More granularity and checking authorization for that granularity is now also possible (also remotely, before you make the call -> FM AUTHORITY_CHECK support the import parameter of the FOR USER extention introduced with 7.00.

Effectively you have a remote simulation mode which opens a lot of doors to the calling application, but can also create a lot of confusion on the backend system if you "blindly" read traces....

Cheers,

Julius

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Yes, but that will still require manual steps from users. Copying old layouts or using old layout. You would also have to create one role for each old user if you really wanted to give them access to only their old variants.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Martin,

In SU01, there is a  tab called: Parameters. I am not quite sure what information it stores. I have seen some entries like FZ1 - FI: GL Account Items Fast Entry Line Layout. Does this mean items like screen layouts are saved / stored here?

Thanks everyone for their inputs!

Vijay

EDIT: Looks like this tab only stores information to be defaulted when a transaction is accessed and does not store info related to screen and report layouts. Is this understanding correct?

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is a special case. The parameters (PIDs) are used by various transactions in SAP in many ways. The most common use case for PIDs is pre-filling values. For example PID BUK corresponds to a company code. So when a user has PID BUK set to 1000 then most of SAP transactions will prefill company code with value 1000. In case of FZ1 you can have various layouts defined for GL posting. PID FZ1 will use one of these predefined variants. Hence in this case if you create a new user with same PIDs then the new user will use same layout for GL posting as old user. So you should definitely migrate PIDs from old users to new users. The problem is that PIDs do not cover all screen variants.

Cheers

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

As far as I understand your question you don't have a problem to create new users. You want to move report veriants from one user to another user. I am not aware of any solution that allows you to re-assign screen variants and other things. So as you said it will require some manual steps from users. Or you can try to implement your own solution. Maybe you can prioritize things and then spend couple of hours to figure how complicated it will be to write a custom program to copy variants and other things.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Correct, the issue is not in creating new users, but in user specific settings. I am not quite sure if ABAP solution would be approved internally (we don't have ABAP personnel on-board). But if that is the only option, will have to see. Thanks!

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Martin. I guess this is what I was looking for.

Regarding layouts, I read and checked as well that you can actually transport report layouts under layout management. But it will not be worth the effort to communicate how it has to be done to all the SAP users and then ofcourse there would be issues relating to some users not being able to transport, missing objects and so on.

So the only way I see the screen variants and report layouts to be moved over to the new user ID's is by creating manually. I am highly skeptical if ABAP development would be acceptable option.

Thanks to you and everyone who contributed!

Vijay

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

One last question: Is there any table where I can find the list of all parameter ID's with their descriptions?

0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Check this table TPARAT to see the list of all parameter IDs and their description.

Regards,

Rama

0 Kudos

hi, plz help me.

dispatcher is running but not connected to message server

0 Kudos

Hi Siva, search in space or post your question over there.

Regards,

Rama

0 Kudos

can u plz help me

dispatcher is running but not connected the message server

vijayendra_rao
Participant
0 Kudos

Just wanted to update the thread with the approach we are taking:

1) We ended up creating a Z program to copy over ALV report layouts from one user to another, in my limited testing, this seems to work. Still need to see if we can use similar approach to copy screen variants. Sample code can be found here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/13463 - although the code required minor modification.

2) The last option was to give the users who have numerous layouts (screen and report) a parallel ID (we have some spare ones) so that they can get a headstart by recreating the layouts manually  before we go-live, but hopefully, this will not be required. Screen layouts are stored in table TCVIEW and report layouts (by user) are stored in table LTDXT.

3) Personal favorites from the SAP start menu can be easily exported and then imported under new ID.

Thanks to every one for pitching in.

Vijay

0 Kudos

Another update, modified the same program to copy over screen variants as well! To mass copy I believe you can use LSMW, but we are using an excel macro.

Vijay