SAP for Life Sciences Discussions
Get insights and find practical tips to optimize your processes with SAP solutions. Share your own knowledge of life science technology and success stories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP-OER without SAP-AII

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are considering other options with SAP-OER & SAP-AII, more specifically SAP-OER without SAP-AII. As I understand there are two versions of AII.  One AII resides inside OER and one or more optional external or stand-alone AIIs.  My line of inquire is; if you just want to post an event through EPCIS to OER, do you need any AIIs at all (internal or external.)

It seems originally AII served a line interface.  It also has extensions to talk to devices.  But if you already have line managers why would you have one manager talk to another just to post the event?

Now the question becomes; what are the specific functions of the internal AII.  I realize there are other reason to have external AIIs; such as redundancy for WAN communications, but those issue can be address in other ways.

Internal AII appears to be the brains of the AII operation (passing SNs) while the external AII acts as the arms and legs dealing with the outside world (pushing out and receiving back SNs and translations of formats.)

Comments?

1 REPLY 1

0 Kudos

Hi John,

SAP OER is configured out of the software components SAP EM (Event Management), SAP AII and PI Content. The central AII as a SOFTWARE component is an integral part of SAP OER.

The Software component AII or “central AII” within OER is being used as a service engine to enable encoding and decoding of IDs, Central Number Range Management and certain Master Data Management.  All three software components (EM, AII, PI-Content) are included in the OER license.

It is correct that you do not need a local AII to post EPCIS events directly into OER.

I hope this helps.

Oliver