cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI 7.10 or 6.40

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

can plz any bdy suggest that is it better to upgrade SAP GUI for windows 6.40 to release 7.10.

Keeping in view our SAP System landscape includes ECC 6.0 and BI 7, and in our network infrastructure most of the workstations are windows 2000.

PLZ REPLY

points are sure

Zeeshan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

We are running SQL Server 2000, SAP 4.6d and I have installed SAP GUI 7.10 and have experianced no issues.

Check out the cool "Input History" that is now integrated.

Next release - 7.10 of SAP GUI for WIN will be released on 05th of February 2007. There will be integration to new version of MS Windows: Vista and joint SAP and MS developed tool called Duet (formerly Mendocino).

To have a complet overview of SAP's user interfaces where SAP count's following:

Web Dynpro - provides the development and runtime environment for creating web applications. Web Dynpro development environment consists of a set of integrated tools supporting the following core functions: specifying dialog flows; designing and composing views, (for example, the graphical presentation of a page); modeling business data types and customizing all of these aspects.

SAP GUI family (see above)

mobile UI - Online technology, where a mobile device (mobile phones, PDAs, etc.) connected to a web server, based on technologies such as WAP, wireless LANs, Bluetooth, etc. The aim is to extend and extend SAP's WAS or ITS, with features to provide technology which extends SAP's WAS or ITS, with features that allow application developers to create and modify mobile applications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Considering recommending that we upgrade from 640 Sp9 direct to 710. purely as there is a need to upgrade to 640 sp15 and if we are going to have to go through the upgrade loop for a service pack we might as well roll out the latest version of the browser purely for the length of the support we can expect to receive from SAP. Has anyone experienced any issues with 710, does it have any particular problems working with any particular SAP application versions or on a particular desktop build?

Cheers

Paul

Participant
0 Kudos

Although I can't prove it, I feel that SAP GUI 7.10 final release is the same as SAP GUI 6.40 Patch 22. I have noticed no difference whatsoever. If you go with 6.40, go with at least patch level 20. I find patch level 22 and 23 to be very stable. We rolled out 22 to the enterprise and no problems have surfaced. Both versions appear to work with both 32-bit and 64-bit machines. We also use GUIxT and I.E. 6 and I.E. 7. We are on SAP 4.7 but our solution manager box is WAS 700. We also have a HP-UX database with Linux App servers. No issues reported with AT&T dialer.

That's about all I can share but I believe both our very stable so why not go for 7.10 as you will have long-term support. I believe the 6.40 goes away at the end of 2008.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd recommend 6.40 for now, UNLESS you are planning on running on Vista. It's more stable at this point (see various posts here), and you have a year and a half before you need to upgrade. By then 7.20 or whatever is coming next may be out with long term support (7.10 goes until 2011)

Regards,

John