SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the World of SAP HANA - Does Retailer really need to implement SAP POSDM ? & why ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To my understanding of SAP HANA is capable of processing Millions of records in seconds and you really do not need any data aggregation logics - Meaning the end of Batch jobs ! right.. if that is the case - Does Retailers really need POSDM in time to come. As POS data can be processed on real time basis using SAP HANA and same manner ERP Posting can happen as and when basis.

Request SAP Retail experts view's on this !   

3 REPLIES 3

amit_tunara
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amitabh,

To the best of my knowledge doing aggregation of data is just one of the feature of POS DM. There are other features like Sales Audit, validation checks, master data checks etc. which makes POS DM a more powerful application. Without POSDM all these features in an ABAP program will be difficult task.

Apart from these features, it will be a centralized POS transaction server which allows you to analyze or monitor transactional data from a single system. Without this centralized server, you will have to take remote login for each and every store which you want to study.

So HANA is a technology aspect for quicker processing but cannot replace the feature of POS DM.

Just my thought.

Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SAP HANA is a database.SAP HANA allows you take advantage of SAP in-memory computing for quicker processing. POSDM application is avaliable on both traditional databases and the SAP HANA database.

Regards,

Ramkrishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Amitabh,

as always it depends on what kind of retail business you have... in my understanding with HANA you are able to run quite new processes. SAP POSDM is here in the retail business some kind of central part. Especially with the Customer Activity Repository (CAR). Imagine you are some retailer as WALMART and have some global business running. You normally wouldnt need all the receipts data per customer to get your normal business running but only the batch jobs (as it is right now). But now imagine what could be possible if you could analyse every single receipt in real time. It would be possible to identify your customers and give them some kind of individual promotions fitting to their buying history. Inside ERP you still "only" need the aggregated data to make the financial accountants happy, but all the logic inside CAR with POSDM with enable with this new processes. So you as WALMART could stop to print out all of this paper advertisment and go over to the next generation like smartphone advertisment with promotions fitting to the individual customer.

I hope this gives you some new idea about all the stuff that is possible with POSDM on HANA connected to CAR and probably the Customer Engagement Intelligence (CEI).

Regards,

Daniel