cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager 7.1 Upgrade vs Install

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings to all,

We are currently Solman 7.1 SP05 Unix/Oracle. In the future, we will be changing hosting agents and will to go to AIX/DB2.

We have 5+ years of service desk/change management transaction data that we will need to retain in some fashion for normal support and auditing purposes. From everything I read, the best (only?) way to retain the transactional data is to Upgrade/Convert the existing system. However, we are being pressured to consider a new install so we can 'clean up' our Solman system. We also have extensive Blueprint data, which I believe there is an SAP standard way to export/import by using Transport Copies.

Our options potentially seem to be:

1. Upgrade current system to new operating system, retaining transaction data.

2. Install new Solman system and upgrade current system to new operating system as display-only system.

3. Install new Solman system and load transaction data into BW cubes/provide BW reporting.

4. Install new Solman system and load transaction data as new transaction data.

Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations/information regarding the options above? Is there any way to do #3 or #4?

Thanks!

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lluis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul, check that:

"...

the rule is that:

"...the only consideration that you have to take in mind about take path for upgrade one is if you have a huge number of incidents, change documents, change request, etc...otherwise you have to select new installation option..."

That's is because there is any SAP option to migrate old service desk message to new ITSM.

..."

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3418273

Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

After further discussions with our basis team, we have come to the conclusion that upgrade is the only viable answer due to the requirement to retain the transactional data.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lluis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I found a new one:

go to SMP -> Release & Upgrade Info ->  inst & upgradeguides -> sap conponents -> sap solution manager -> release 7.1 -> 1 Planning -> "Installation/ Upgrade Planner SAP Solution Manager 7.1"

Regards,

Luis

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Paul

Out of all the ALM areas of Solution Manager the one's which are heavily impacted are Incident and change management

so if you have done lot of customization in the form EEWB (i.e new customer fields) or complex approval workflows then you will definately have a rough upgrade and have to fix plenty of issues with moving to new framework of CRM UI, Business Roles which don't exist in 7.0 etc.

Based upon our past  upgrades with various customer's of SD/ChaRM,  I can comment that if you are very close to standard for  incident and ChaRM then you can plan for upgrade which will be much smoother. In all other case you will land up in big trouble to resolve them and might delaying your entire upgrade itself which can't be completed over weekend or over night.

check this guide

https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000911492011E/

and this one as well

https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000307372012E/SolMan_Content_Transferv17.pdf

Hope this helps

Regards

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prakhar/Luis,

Thanks for the information but we have already upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1 and are currently at 7.1 SP05. This is NOT a 7.0 to 7.1 upgrade but a 7.1 to 7.1 upgrade. We are looking at going from UNIX/Oracle to AIX/DB2 and have to consider either upgrading the current 7.1 SP05, which contains numerous ITSM service/change messages (both 7.0 and 7.1) and Blueprint/Configuration project data with extension process scenarios/documentation OR doing a clean install which would enable us to 'clean up' all the garbage that has accumulated over the last 5 years. We have done some customization to the BSP screens. We cannot lose our transaction history completely due to auditing requirements and general customer needs. So we have to find a way to either convert messages, leave the old system available or just upgrade. Based on Luis' first post, the simple answer is we should upgrade. Management and basis are both recommending clean install to 'clean up' the system.

Has anyone tried to create a batch/manual method to load 7.0 and 7.1 service/change messages? Is it even feasible to install a new 7.1 and leave the old 7.1 system available for message display and reporting?

Thanks

Paul

Lluis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Has anyone tried to create a batch/manual method to load 7.0 and 7.1 service/change messages? 

I have some custom develop for that, but is not complete and functional at all, if you need to see and continue to developing it i can share it with you without any problem, give me your email and i will send you.

Is it even feasible to install a new 7.1 and leave the old 7.1 system available for message display and reporting?

I don't understand that question Paul :_(. if you are on 7.1 SP5 you can upgrade to last SP with out any problems; the real problem is when you are on 701 or below and need to go to 7.1. For database experience i can't help you, i don't do system installations or upgrades.

Regards,

Luis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Luis,

Thanks for the quick response and kind offer.

I have some custom develop for that, but is not complete and functional at all, if you need to see and continue to developing it i can share it with you without any problem, give me your email and i will send you.

Yes, I would be interested in seeing what you have developed. See send whenever you get a chance - no rush. My email is:

pmaraijko@ncdot.gov

I don't understand that question Paul :_(. if you are on 7.1 SP5 you can upgrade to last SP with out any problems; the real problem is when you are on 701 or below and need to go to 7.1. For database experience i can't help you, i don't do system installations or upgrades.

What I was thinking was we would upgrade 7.1 SP05 to current SPXX under new operating system for real Solution Manager system but also convert (not upgrade - leave SP05) current system to new operating system as a stand-alone system - breaking all connections/RFCs, close all messages/projects/etc and only allow display access to historical transaction data (messages/projects). Thus, we could do a clean install and still make past transactional data available without figuring out how to load it. I'm not DB/systems person either so I have no idea if this is even possible.

Thanks and kindest regards

Paul