Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DB Host Move to new environment

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Good Day!

We are planning to move Database Host to new location hence IP and Host Name will get changed.

Simple query, in how many files (name) in SAP application side, we will have to perform the changes as a SAP Administrator.

I have found the DB host entry in the Default Profile only.

Do you think there are more files or any other precaution we will have to keep during this move.?

Thanks

Mukesh Khamparia

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

SF111
Explorer

To go along with the change to the DBHOST parameter in the default profile, there are a couple of other changes that I think you would need.  Log into the app server as the <SID>adm account and edit the MSSQL_SERVER user variable under environment variables.  Note, this is not a global environment variable, it's specific to the <SID>adm account.  The other thing you would probably want to change would be in the Java Config Tool.  In the secure store section you would want to change the JDBC/pool/<SID>/Url entry as well.  There may be other places as well but I hope this helps.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

jill_diesman
Participant

Mukesh,

Hal Ruggles pointed out something that was missing from some other replies: the Java Config Tool.  We recently completed a database upgrade to MS SQL Server 2012, which resides on a new database server, so we also had to copy the old Portal database to the new server.

After backing up our database we made one change in the Java Config Tool: go to Secure Store > Connection Pools > <SID> Properties.  For Key = "Url", update the value with your new database name -- e.g. Value = "jdbc:sqlserver://<your_database_name>;databasename=<SID>".

After restoring the backed-up database to the new database server, we made the appropriate changes  in the Default Portal Profile.  The parameters we had to change were SAPDBHOST, j2ee/dbhost, and dbs/mss/server.

The only other place we found needing the new database name was our developers' NWDS settings.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jill

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

It depends on what SAP system you have connected to this database.

If you have an ABAP stack then you will need to modify the profiles where there is old host name mentioned.

Also the database and the new host name should get reflected in the SAP MMC.

The same applies with the entries in the hosts file and the others.

If you have a Java stack as well then you will need to re-configure the secure store, UME configuration (if there is any)

Check these SAP notes for copying the database to the new machine.

Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server

Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

You may perform the following steps ( if you have to change the hostname):

1. List all the application (including 3rd party soft) which connected to db hostname

Directly so you can adjust them once new hostname activated.

2. Backup all the existing profile

3.Perform new db instance (using system copy - distributed - db instance installation)

During the installation, it will need the SAP CI profile location and it will update all necessary profile

( for oracle db it will change default.pfl, sqlnet.Ora and tnsname.Ora).

4. Make sure to get downtime while you perform task 3.

5. Once new sap is runing with new db host name. You need to adjust rfcs, recreate db13 jobs and all

Applition listed in task 1.

Cheers,

Casmito

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please refer to SAP note 8307.

Thanks,

Sunny

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny, Thanks.

My Question is on DB host change while Note 8307 is used for SAP application server host change.

Here SAP Host will be same and DB host is being change

Thank You.

Mukesh Khamparia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your requirement is of hardware migration although only partial. You just want to migrate DB and keep CI intact.

Couple of ways of doing it.

1. Do a vanilla database instance install (only) on new host and then perform system copy. However in that case you need to adjust <sid>adm and ora<sid> profiles (Assuming the DB is oracle). Also need to change DBHOST parameter in the profiles.

You can also do copy the oracle file systems + user profiles+ other files like /etc/oratab etc. on the new host make the changes and try to bring up SAP and Oracle. I have set up one such system (but in that case I am just making use of oracle and not SAP).

On the new host you need to rename .sapenv_hostname.sh/.csh and .dbenv_<hostname>.sh/.csh files. And replace hostname related values in listener.ora. It is iterative process and complex but would normally take the least time.

2. Another way as suggested by Gerard is to do a complete reinstallation.

All in all go though the homogenous system copy guide and then build your own concept.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1562655

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi, Thanks.

Probably my fault that I have not mentioned the DB Type. Here we are using SQL server.

Environment : Windows 2008

SQL 2008 R2 & Windows server 2008 R2

As now we can consider only Default Profile entry update.

Any thing else ?

Thanks

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per the below doc will help you.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-46055

Another thing i want to know what is the setup for the central instance. Is that not changing. Is the domain of the old database and new server same.

If yes why cant you retain the same hostname and ip .

for the installation of the new host as i mentioned you earlier and during the time of the cutover try to change the hostname and ip of the server to old one.

Do you have any DNS that maintain the entry of these host and these host lookup that DNS.

Thanks

RishiA brol

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

Thanks Again.

But that post is again for SAP application host Name Change.

I am looking for help in SQL DB host name Change.

Mukesh

http://scn.sap.com/community/about/blog/2013/09/04/contribute-in-scn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please answer the above question asked.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

khampariamukesh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Answer is as below:

Another thing i want to know what is the setup for the central instance. Is that not changing. Is the domain of the old database and new server same.

CI and DB hosts are in separate host. CI is not moving.

If yes why cant you retain the same hostname and ip .

I had this option with me but business is not happy.

for the installation of the new host as i mentioned you earlier and during the time of the cutover try to change the hostname and ip of the server to old one.

I had this option with me but business is not happy.

Do you have any DNS that maintain the entry of these host and these host lookup that DNS.

Probably yes, but these will be taken care by OS vendor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After looking above things you need to be clear that different issues will arise.

when you change the profile in RZ10, under default.pfl and configure parameter SAPDBHOST value to <DB host_name> this will give you to point to the new database.

But you will also have to check where the old host name are mentioned.

If i was in your place i would try to get the customer convinced to have different ip but same host name to avoid issues.

like configure RFC connection :

SAPXPG_DBDEST_<physical db host name>(as per sap note 980266,under 'solution' tab point 2)

And more infor that we are not aware of currently.

On the new host you have to do the below preparation.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_lvment20/helpdata/en/ec/cb953e32df4092b004209471c6ef9f/content.htm

Thanks

Rishi Abrol