Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant configuration-Guidence required on new set up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts

Below is my scenario for variant configuration:

Watch is the Finished Product and Watch head is the semi finished product.

We have different variants in the Strap color and buckle type.

We need to use Material variants in our business in order to reduce the lead time to supply.

Planning strategy 81 used at the Finished product level and 40 at the sub assembly level.

I have created the below Master data and Need advice to proceed further.

1. Created Finished Watch as a configurable material (with class type 300), Sales order will be raised for this material.

2. Created Material Variants with Class type 300 (say Variant 1 is with Black colur strap, Variant 2 with brown color strap)

3. Created BOM with usage 1 and 5 for Finished Watch

4. Created Characteristics for Strap and Buckle and assigned it in a Class, the class is assigned in to the FG material and also in the Material Variants.

5. Created configuration profile in CU41 and assigned the class

6. Created Class with type 200 and assinged the above said 2 characteristics which inturn assinged in the BOM as item type K.

I am not clear on the following :

1. When i create a sales order, system is not populating the characteristics to configure and it gives message "Configured BOM could not be exploded".

2. How do i simulate and replace the stock of Material Variant instead of Finished Watch in Sales order.

3. Do i need to create a BOM for Material Variants also?

4. How the class item (K) can be identified in stock ?(say for example i have created Strap color as a characteristic and assigned in class type 200).

Please guide me if anything is missing or i need to follow different steps.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bala

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bala,

The configuration BOM does not get populated despite of creating a configuration profile. Check out the Item category that you have set within the Sales view. It should be the one that supports configuration. The one the I normally use is 0002.

After you correct it, configuration window should appear in the Sales Order. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ishwar

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bala,

check below link it gives you all basic settings for how to use classes in BOM as component as well as how to setup material variant and replace them in sales order.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-31570

http://scn.sap.com/community/erp/manufacturing-pp/blog/2012/06/22/classes-as-place-holders-component...

Also do rate this document .

Compare you setup  and revert back if you stiill have problem.

I will try to help.

Thanks

Ritesh