Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting space width possible?

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

we changed our printers (same vendor) and got new device types (sharp). But when we use the new device types with the printer, the space width is much bigger than before.

When I create a spool job with the old device type there is the following OTF-output:

FC   HELVE 080X 00073XSF100SF101410300045D X

SW   00045

I think "SW" is for space width.

With the new device type the OTF-output looks like this:

FC   HELVE 080X 00091XSF100SF101410300080D X

SW   00080

As you can see, the space width is much bigger.

Is it possible to change the space width within the device type so that it uses the old space width?

Thanks in advance.

Bernd

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

alexander_bolloni
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bernd,

in fact it is possible (for proportionally spaced fonts only, not for e.g. COURIER!) to tell the PCL5 printer driver which space width to use.

Actually, the width value which is used in OTF comes from the font metrics definition of the printer font in SE73.

For example, for device type SH1DJ000 printer font HELVE  normal I can find in the font metrics data the line:

WX 500 ; N space ;

This tells SAPscript the width of the space character in EM units, which means 1/1000 font size. So for e.g. a 12 pt fontsize an EM value of 500 means 12pt * 500/1000 = 6pt = 6 * 20 twip = 120 twip (20th of a pt which is the unit used in OTF).

So if you are willing to modify your new Sharp device type, you may try to modify those lines in all HELVE and TIMES font metrics to suit your desired default width.

Best regards,

Alexander

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bernd,

As per the SAP note 183948, the space width for PCL device types is approx. twice that as postscript or windows device types. This is a dependency of the printer language.

I think the Sharp device types are PCL. Can you try using special PCL device type HPLJ8000 as per note 183948? This should work fine if the Sharp printers are PCL. Another possibility if the Sharp printers support postscript is to use device type POST2.

Regards,
Aidan

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernd,

Though the changes, you are referring are not looking different. In case,if you would have shared the images, then this difference could have been visible.

Still, have a look on Snote below.

Note 90437 - Alignment for different device types

BR.

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

when I print the mentioned spool jobs the results are different. In one document (the new device type), the space width is much higher than in the other one (old device type).

I have already read the note. It seems, that the space width is device type dependent and I want to know, if it is possible to change this setting for a specific device type.

Thanks ahead.

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hope you would have compared both the device types in t-code SPAD...Did you find any difference?

Also, get the program checked by ABAP team, could be possible specific font size could have been defined...

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I have found differences between the two devices types. Some print controls are different.

But how can I find out, if a print control is responsible for this behavior?

Thanks ahead.

former_member235680
Active Participant