cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solman 7.1 During Transition Phase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regarding charm after upgrade to solman 7.1 ,SAP reccommends to create new  transaction types and process  the open requests with old transaction types during the transition phase.My question is : Anybody tried to create requests with old transaction types ? Will it work in solman 7.1 ? SAP has made the upgrade process difficult  and time consuming due to extra efforts needed in charm.The time needed for the whole upgrade process ( technical upgrade ,post activities,solman_setup and charm related activities) take at least a week,the solman users will not be in a position to use the new transaction type immediately after technical upgrade and also they need training in solman 7.1.

Will the old charm functionality work in solman 7.1 as well ?   ( of course solman 7.1 new features will be missing )  Anybody has this experience  ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Normally after upgarde , will able to use the old transcation type of ChaRM in solman 7.1.

please check the below link step 4.2 option to take over open transcation (pg.96)

https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000674032012E.pdf

did u face any issue using the old transcation type?

Rg,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that we can process the old requests  which are created in the previous solman releases in solman 7.1 during the charm transition phase and sap asks to create new charm requests with new transaction types immediately after upgrade.As mentioned before,the post activities after upgrade to solman 7.1 will take more time due to charm changes. My confusion is here:Can we also create new requests with old transaction types during the transition phase ? I have not tested this in solman 7.1.Kindly answer if you have checked this.Your suggestions are welcome.

richard_pietsch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can still run the old transaction types but need to process them within e.g. the work centers. The new transaction types are based on a new business type to allow the usage of the CRM UI.

So you can allow your users to create the old transactions while you're configuring the new ones. Once you've done, set the old transaction types to "display only" and active the new transaction type.

As far as I know, only in the work centers you can then open both transaction types, the CRM UI does not support the old ones.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Richard.I have another query,what about the maintenance cycle ? Can we use the same old maitenance cycle (created in previous release before upgrading to solman 7.1 ) and create new requests with old transaction type during the charm transition phase ?

richard_pietsch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The customizing you've done for your old transaction type will work also under 7.1 (assuming you've copied all profiles, setting etc to Z*).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Yes u can create the request in old transcation type after upgarde in transition phase.

But for Maintanance cycle after upgarde , close the old MC SDMN and create new MC in SMMN.

After create the MC in SMMN, able to create the change request using SDCR and SMCR in both way using this MC(SMMN).

https://websmp210.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000674032012E.pdf (pg-96)

Rg,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

I could tell this in otherway for your better understanding,

- After the upgrade you still work on your old Transaction types as before , just you cant enjoy thee new features alligned in 7.1.

-  Transition period start only when you finish all the configuration to use the new TRs types, by logically when your new Transaction types ready to use, you no longer required to the old , moreover technically you cant, so you entered into the transistion, when you set the plan for working with new TR types and closing the old ones. during configuration also, you can still reuse the old Transaction type stuffs. you can also refer the guide here

This has some more effort estimation status too. Please check.

Thanks

Jansi

0 Kudos

Hello Karthik and Solman567,

from my point of view, after the upgrade the creation of old transaction types (e.g. SMCR) is no longer supported. You can only finish existing documents.

All new documents need to be created with the Web Client UI and the new transaction types.

What is technically possible is to have an "old" cycle document (SDMN) and attach new change documents to it - however, SAP recommends to close a cycle and create a new one, to benefit from new features and avoid issues (e.g. performance, when task list logs get to huge...)

Best regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tobias,

I have conflicting anwers in this thread and as per the final answer I have the following.

1.In Solman 7.1 we can create only new transaction types  and we cannot create old transaction types ,for old  transaction types we can just  process them in solman 7.1

2.In Solman 7.1 we should use the old maintenance cycle only for processing the old  transaction   types  and use a new maintenace cycle for creating new transaction types

3.It is definitely clear that SAP does not have a temporarily solution just to manage the immediate  requirements  to CREATE  old transaction type in the transition phase .SAP supports only

for processing the old ones.The users have to  WAIT till the whole configuration activities

(It may extend to one week ) are completed in transition phase in Solman 7.1 to create new requests with new transaction types.

4.The way SAP is supporting Solman 7.1 upgrade is not  upto the user expectation as for other

upgrades SAP takes utmost care in mininizing the downtime and user effort but in Solman 7.1 it

is not so due to CHARM activities.

Any suggestionsto reduce the effort during transition phase are welocme.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

We Upgraded to Solman 7.1 .. We want to use the old Transaction Types (SDCR , SDHF and SDAD) .. is it possible to use with Solman 7.1 ...

can we use the existing project and Maintainance CYCLE or we have to create the new one.

What will happen to transport requets.

our plan is to use new transaction types after 6 months.

Thanks and Regards

MAHESH