cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter into SAP QM with Industry Experience

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

I have just started my career as Quality Control Engineer in steel fabrication industry. We are not using any SAP QM module in

our industry. I would like to learn SAP QM module by myself.   II request to share any links or material on SAP QUALITY MANAGEMENT.

Also, how would be the job opportunities if I learn SAP QM module. I would like to shift my career to SAP QM  from the

present job. Can anyone suggest me how can i shift job, i mean how many years of industry experience i require to move

to SAP QM. Also, in what role i fit in SAP QM

Will  there be jobs in manufacturing industries using SAP QM module for people who have knowledge on SAP QM.

I request all folks to give me their suggestions.

Thanking you

Satya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would suggest that your next step would be to move laterally to a company that uses QM in SAP.  Get some experience as a user.

Most of the experienced functional consultants today were end-users or IT support personnel at one time as an employee in a company.

Many newer functional consultants that are replacing us older ones, have college work in the IT field and got their start with an IT consulting group like IBM, Accenture, Tata, KPMG, etc... 

Being that you are already in a job, I would work hard to become an expert first in Quality. Not SAP quality or QM, just plain Quality.  Try to move to a company that uses SAP and learn it there.  Once you are recognized as having top quality consulting experience, and you know SAP as a user, and hopefully as an SAP key user by that time in your company, you'll be able to try and pursue a consulting position with a consulting firm.  They will assist you with learning the configuration and technical side of the software if you bring good quality experience and have a strong base in SAP to start with.

While waiting for that opportunity to make the jump to a consulting firm, get your employer to send you to as many SAP courses as you can.  Maybe even consider taking time off and paying for some courses yourself.

The really valuable functional QM consultants know their way around a lab, understand quality control and quality assurance, know their statistical models, understand the various industry standards and requirements and don't just turn on SAP for a client.  They actually work at helping a client improve their process. 

It takes some time and you have to pay the dues early.  You have a good start if you have your engineering degree already.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

Thanks for your valuable tips.

I would like to enter as sap end user in industries where SAP(QM) module will be used. What sort of industries will use SAP QM module. How are the job opportunities for end users in industries. I work in UAE, metal industry where we don't use SAP. I would like to move to an industry where SAP will be used. Could you let me know how to enter as an end user.

Regards

satya

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd look for a position in a firm that uses SAP.  There are several metal industry firms using SAP and SAP has a Mill Products solution developed for the metal industries.

http://www54.sap.com/uk/solution/industry/mill-products.html

I'd search for articles on the internet about this solution and start pulling together a list of the metal companies that use SAP.  Then from this list start your job hunt.  If you are already working in a metal firm it will be easier to move into another metal firm probably than a whole other industry. 

Now you might find a position in another industry faster I don't know.  But you should start collecting names of companies that use SAP and then use that list to target firms you'd like to work for and go from there.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Thanks for you valuable suggestion.

regards

satya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

Having domain knowledge helps in executing many tasks when you are confronted with real time requirements. But an end user or non SAP experience is not counted towards experience in SAP so you must remember that your current experience will not count as experience in SAP though it has its own advantages.

Now, regarding learning QM or any module of SAP there are lot of posts/articles/blogs in SCN but to learn with the intent that you would like to move into SAP you must learn it from some training institute/center. Learning from SAP authorized partner will be expensive but has its advantages such as you can appear for the certification exam after training and having learnt from a SAP authorized partner is a kind of endorsement that you have learnt what SAP has defined in its curriculum. Now, if you go for a private training company then it would be relatively cheaper but you be allowed to take the exam after training and you must ensure that the trainer is good and is covering the entire content, and the trainer has good experience and is able to explain the concepts with good examples.

Cheers,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr.Nagaraj,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

I would like to enter as a sap end user initially in manufacturing industries where SAP QM module is used . Could you let me know how to enter as a sap end user. I mean, what are the things to know. Also, what sort of industries use SAP QM module(oil and gas, fertilizers, etc)..

regards

satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

As an end user you should first know very well the domain that you are going to work or currently working, and if your company decides to use SAP QM then you would give given access to the SAP system with QM module implemented so that you can do your work using SAP.

If the company that you currently working is not going to implement SAP in the near future but you want to use SAP then the only option that remains is to join a company that uses SAP QM module but it wouldn't be easy as no company would take you at the same position just because you want to use SAP as an end user. What I would say is you learn SAP QM and keep improving your understanding in it and put it in your resume so that a company which is looking for a candidate like you who has work experience and also knows SAP would give you opportunity. These days people get senior positions via referrals mostly so you should work on building a network with recruiters/professionals from SAP QM domain.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Cheers,

Nagarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr.Nagraj,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion

regards

satya

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are welcome Satya. If you feel your query has been responded and you got useful information then rate the response and close the query.

Good Luck.

Nagarajan Viswanathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Satya,

There are many links provide on SCN which will help you to understand & learn QM module. QM module in recent times is upcoming module. Many companies are getting interested to implement this module. In SAP if you want to enter, your should have thorough knowledge of this module & with a good domain knowledge. There are few links which may provide you help in your learning process

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45b/helpdata/en/7f/e72c7dd435d1118b3f0060b03ca329/frameset.htm

http://scn.sap.com/thread/453375

http://www.saptechies.org/sap-pdf-books-download/sappress_quality_mgnt95441247035768.pdf

Regards

Anupam