cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silverlight instability while editing complex transactions

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm trying to simplify ME23N. When you start trying to reorganise the layout of this transaction, and other complex transactions like IW53, you can see that the structure of the visual components of the transaction is quite complex. There are containers within containers within containers, and finding the right one to move or adjust the size of can be quite a challenge. Resize the wrong one and you'll end up with scrollbars you didn't expect, for example.

Worse, though, is I'm finding that after making significant changes to the layout of such a transaction the Silverlight browser plugin gets quite unstable. This usually manifests itself as a plugin crash while in edit mode. I've had to resort to the decades old technique of saving often to avoid losing changes. Sometimes a browser restart will restore stability for a while. Sometimes a PC restart is required. Occasionally I've ended up with a flavour I just can't edit any more.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having such problems, or if it is just me? I'm running Personas in Safari on a Mac. I've tried using Firefox but that seems less stable than Safari. Silverlight isn't supported in Chrome on MacOS, which is ironic because it actually seems more stable. The only thing that doesn't work is keyboard input, which is a bit of a drawback! I'm almost prepared to live with that, though, if I get fewer Silverlight crashes.

Is there anything I can do to make Silverlight more stable? All suggestions welcome!

Is it better under Windows? Do I need to work in a Windows VM?

While this instability does only affect edit mode, CPU consumption can get high while just viewing these complex transactions with a flavour applied. Even after being idle for a couple of minutes just looking at ME23N, with no user interaction at all, the Silverlight plugin can be using one whole CPU of my machine.

Switch to Basic View and that goes back to to practically nothing. Again, is this a Mac thing or do others notice it also?

Steve.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TobiasQueck
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

I am not a Mac User so I cannot exactly replay your scenario but in Windows browsers I haven't seen such a behavior.

In edit-mode the memory consumption can get quite high in complex transactions but it doesn't make sense to me that this happens when you are not editing.

Could you please create an OSS message with the full description of your scenario including OS and browser versions? If possible could you please also attach the flavor xml (you can grab it from firebug for example) because this might help to reproduce your scenario faster.

Cheers,

Tobias.

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Getting it to fail in non-edit mode is a bit hit and miss. It has only happened to me once. I'll try and provoke it! Using lots of CPU is easily reproduceable, though.

I did try in a Windows VM this afternoon. A flavour that I couldn't edit in MacOS because Silverlight would always crash edited perfectly well in Chrome on Windows. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that SL works better on a Windows machine. I'll bear this in mind in future. I wonder if you need to build a little more MacOS testing into your process, though?

Steve.

Answers (0)