cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DBUA hangs during Oracle Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a Oracle database on AIX Unix from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3, but the database upgrade assistant hangs when I click on Next in Step 3.  (Recovery and Diagnostic locations).

Do anyone know what could be the reason for the DBUA hanging in the middle of the steps?  All the pre-checks passed.

Do anyone know where I can find the SAP guide to manually upgrade a oracle database?  On website http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7888 I found guide https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000333942010E but "(in this guide we only describe the database upgrade using the DBUA)".

Thanks,

Willem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There should be logs at the OS level /oracle/SID/cfgtoollogs/dbua/SID/upgrade for every DBUA execution.

You may check the latest logs please.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have tried reinstalling the Oracle Database Software, and then running DBUA again, but it unfortunately did not work.

There is no warning message in the window that is hidden behind the 'Database Upgrade Assistant: Progress' window.

The DBUA still hangs at step 3 of 6, and I left it there for days, and it did not progress.

There is no /oracle/SID/cfgtoollogs directory, but I found it under /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua/logs and /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua/TBD/upgrade20

The only error that I found was in /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua/logs/trace.log, but it seems relating to clustering and I’m running a single instance:

[main] [ 2013-09-30 15:36:35.572 SAST ] [HAUtils.getHASHome:938]  Failed to get HAS home.

PRCT-1011 : Failed to run "getcrshome". Detailed error: null

There are also no errors in alert.log.

Thank you, I will have a look at SAP note 1431793, and try to implement a silent install.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check the below details.

Try to remove/Rename /var/opt/oracle/ocr.loc and re run netca again .

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2416769

As you have windows you can find where is this file.

The location of the ocr.loc depended on the platform used.
Linux: /etc/oracle/ocr.loc
Aix: /etc/oracle/ocr.loc
Solaris : /var/opt/oracle
Windows : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Oracle\OCR

If we look in the ocr.loc file we see the following.

bash-3.00$ cat /etc/oracle/ocr.loc ocrconfig_loc=/oracrs/oradata/data01/ocrdisk1

ocrmirrorconfig_loc=/oracrs/oradata/data02/ocrdisk2

local_only=FALSE

The value of local_only = true indicates "Single instance only" and false means using "RAC"

http://appsforbeginners.blogspot.com.au/2009/07/voting-disk-is-one-of-required-parts-of.html

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Without providing the complete logs it is difficult to guide you.

Stop the DBUA GUI

Move all the files present at /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua to another location.

Set the environment variables and start the dbua under oratbd

Now check the logs present at /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua/TBD/upgrade1 especially the Oracle_Server.log

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi

Thanks, this is an AIX box, but I could fing no /etc/oracle/ocr.loc file.

Hi Reagan,

Thanks you for the helpful advice, is it possible to attach log files to a thread on this forumn?  I only see insert image and video buttons.

I moved the log files from /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua, started the upgrade again, and it hanged again.  I do not see a file called Oracle_Server.log inside /oracle/cfgtoollogs/dbua/TBD/upgrade1/

I was able to complete the upgrade successfully, by running a silent install. I used "./dbua.sap.sh -silent", and the silent upgrade completed without requesting any other input.

Thanks and Regards,

Willem

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check you do not have any file System Full.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shivam

I did check that there was no full file systems or table spaces.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

If DBUA seems to hang, you should check whether DBUA raised a warning message in a window that is hidden behind the 'Database Upgrade Assistant: Progress' window.

Please refer to SAP note 1431793 to start DBUA in silent mode.

Thanks,

Sunny