cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding additional db file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want do add additional ndf file to my db.

What is the procedure/commands for doing it?

I'm running 4.6c on ms sql 2000 sp3

Regards,

Moshe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Moshe,

You can use enterprise manager to add the addtional file. Right click the database then properties->select "data" tab-> click on the empty row witht a logical name and physical location. BEFORE THAT...

It is recommended that only one data file is used per CPU (2 data files if it is dual core). If you already have enough number files of per CPU then you don't have to add addtional file irrespective of the current size of the data files.

Can you mention the reason why you wan to add the addtional file? More information helps us to understand the question.

Thanks

RT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi R.T

We are going to fresh out space in our storage. The plan is to add another disk drawer and open on this new drawer a new file so that most of the data will be written to the new db file - this untill a new emc storage array will be installed instead of the old one.

former_member193399
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Moshe,

If that is the case then you can add the file using the instructions I have provided in my previous response. But there will be significant performance since SQL Server will find more space available in the new file and will use it for all new data.

Thanks,

R.T

null

Answers (0)