cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about archive dir in apmintroscope

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

We've been having some issues with the */apmintroscope/data/archive directory in the past year.  Three times now we've had situations where the archive files seem to go into run-away mode and create multiple temp files that never role up into an archive file.

We've seen the threads about deleting the files/directories or moving them, and the attendant issues of losing history by doing that, but there doesn't seem to be much of an option.  Something gets corrupted, then the files are moved/deleted, then everything works again for a few months.

That was background info to my question ..     We've been trying to find some info about how the whole archiving process works with Introscope, but are coming up with absolutely zero information.  The data/archive directory doesn't seem to be referenced in any CA nor SAP documentation - anyone have a link??

Does anyone have a clear understanding of how the archive process works?  Do the files stay around forever?  Do we need to manually manage the archive files, or do they roll off as defined in one of the parameters, possibly the data aging settings? 

Alternatively, is there anyone who has knowledge/experience on how to troubleshoot what would be causing the data corruption issues?  The APM logs really don't seem to have a lot of clues. It's rather annoying to lose historical data when trying to do problem analysis/trending analysis for all our systems. 

I'd open an OSS message but my experience with vendors supporting third party tools isn't terribly positive.

APM 9.x, SM7.1 sp7

Unix - Sun Solaris

Oracle

Thanks.

Bernie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bernie

I had a problem where my wily file system would get full and would notice that once a day and then at midnight a wily internal task would run to compress the data.

There was no doc indeed in the Wily 9 guides but the Wily 8.2 sizing guide explains how the Smartstor reorg works.

That old sizing guide is available via the SMP quicklink http://service.sap.com/diagnostics > Media Library > Wily Introscope Sizing Guide

I believe your corruption has been caused by your wily FS hitting 100%, you can monitor the Smartstor usage via Wily Investigator.

another note : I presume you got quite a lot of metrics if you had corruption during the reorg, please check that your EM is not at capacity, the sizing guide mentioned above gives clues + KBA 1871677 + http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/TechOps/Introscope+Troubleshooting#IntroscopeTroubleshooting-Ad...

I hope this will help!
cheers
Francois

bernie_krause
Participant
0 Kudos

Francois - I think you're probably correct with the sizing problem, I found the SmartStor documentation as well after I posted this. One thing that we found odd was that when we did a sizing exercise, the chart came up with "you need 2gb space".  Well, maybe it was missing a zero, because each of the files being created is over half a gb, with one file alone being 2.5gb. 

We just haven't had a lot of time to devote to this yet.  We're running about 400 agents into one EM right now, and that may be more than it can handle.  We're going to be looking at splitting it into MOM setup soon. 

In fact, right now we have over 8gb in the archive directory for only 8 days this month.  Extrapolates out to over 30gb per month - I think I need to revisit that sizing doc... lol.

bk