Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - begginer's concept questions

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

From a short reading of SAP document I have come into the following

assumptions regarding the type of data management in MDM.

Can you please confirm or deny my assumptions?

• MDM application is intend to manage organizational entities and its values and this for Enterprise internal data only (between enterprise applications)
  • MDM dont handle External partners data for integration purposes (aka translation B2B scenarios)
  • MDM is not used for Language translations.
  • MDM is not holding any transactional data.
  • Follwoing bullets 1 & 2  - Only the enterprise internal applications has the right to CRUD master data.

Appriciate your insights.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190061
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Welcome to SAP NW MDM forum.

• MDM application is intend to manage organizational entities and its values and this for Enterprise internal data only (between enterprise applications)

--MDM application is like a database where you can maintain all the relevent data(Product,Customer,Supplier,Bank  and GL) in a system and later you can distribute the same acroos yours Enterprise system landscape.( I dont mean its only refer to Internal Data only)

• MDM dont handle External partners data for integration purposes (aka translation B2B scenarios)

--You can use external partners data as i said earlier distribute the same across ERP's

• MDM is not used for Language translations.

--Nope but you can maintain the data in Different Languages as per the requirements.

• MDM is not holding any transactional data.

--COrrect Majourly MDM used to maintain the General Data.

• Follwoing bullets 1 & 2  - Only the enterprise internal applications has the right to CRUD master data.

--Correct CRUD access can be restricted in your design phase.

Regards,

Girish

former_member187587
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Girish for your inforamtive answer.

I would like to clearify my question with an example...

If my ERP maintain its organizational ID in specific format, and I need to send a transaction of data to an external partner that maintain my organizational ID differently.

Is it a good practice to maintain this data inside MDM and access it during Integration process ?

former_member190061
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Yup its a good practice to maintain General Data in MDM, as it offers lot features like Validation,Assignments,Matchin and Merging(where you can eliminate the Duplicates) also as a Governance we have Workflows, with all these features MDM supports for the Data Maintenence.

Now in a real scenario-

Lets say Organization have 3 masters Products,Customers and Suppliers where the target system is your ECC, where its global ERP.

Product- You can maintain Generic data like Description,Gross Weight,Net Weight under MDM and syndicate the same to ECC wita Material Code later on Transation data like Sales Org, Plant data can be maintained in ECC.

Customers- Name,Street,Cit,Country etc data can be maintained in MDM and Slaes Org,Company Code betails which are all transactional data can be maintained in ECC.

Suppliers- Similer to Customers maintain Generic data in MDM and the transaction details like Company Code and Purchase Org details in ECC.

Once you consolidate all the General Data in MDM with specific ID's, later the same can be syndicated into different ERP's.

Hope it clarifies.

Regards,

Girish

former_member190061
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nimrod,

Kindly close the thread If your query being answered.

Regards,

girish