Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different output for New and Changed PO

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I know many people has raised this question. I have always thought that we could control different outputs for new and changed PO through using a different output type but upon configuring the changes in the system, I was not able to achieve that.

Requirements: To email PO when first created but to only print PO when it is changed subsequently. For testing purposes, I am using the same program and form. We have not started development of the form and program for email yet.

Configuration done to-date:

Use output type NEU for new PO output. I have removed entry for option 1(new) in fine tuning for this PO output.

Created a new output type ZPRN for printing changed PO and only maintained option of change (2) in fine tuning.

I have maintained output condition records accordingly (at document type level).

Define message schema to add in the new output type.

Testing to-date:

I created a new PO. Output type NEU is defaulted and I can output the PO via email.

I then changed the PO.

Problem 1: Upon saving I get a message telling me that there is no output message type generated.

I continued to save the PO. Am happy to manually add in the output type as printing is not always a must so we can workaround this.

Problem 2: In changed PO mode, I tried to add the changed output type ZPRN manually but the changed indicator was not ticked. Further testing shows that unless I have previously output with ZPRN as 'new' PO, I cannot output it as a 'changed' PO.

Am I missing any configuration? or have I always misunderstood what SAP can do?

Any clarifications on the above is greatly appreciated!

Regards

SF

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As decided by business NEU for email and ZPRN for printing of purchase order. Us following path:
SPRO -> MM -> Purchasing - > Message -> Output control -> Message types -> Define message type for Purchase Order -> Maintain Message Types for PO
Keep following configuration* for NEU Message Type in “Default values” TAB
Dispatch time : 4
Transmission Medium: 5
Partner Function : VN      
Communication strategy: CS01

&
Keep following configuration* for ZPRN Message Type in “Default values” TAB
Dispatch time : 4
Transmission Medium: 1
Partner Function : VN      
Communication strategy: BLANK

Also maintain Message record in t.code:MN04 for NEU Message type with Dispatch time: 4 & Transmission Medium: 5 and maintain Message record in t.code:MN04 for ZPRN Message type with Dispatch time: 4 & Transmission Medium: 1.

Must keep Indicator: Print Operation (1-New) for NEU Message Type and Print Operation (2-change) for ZPRN Message Type and save in following path:
SPRO -> MM -> Purchasing - > Message -> Output control -> Message types -> Define message type for Purchase Order -> Maintain Message Types for PO

Now create a fresh PO and check for e-mail with NEU Message Type and cross check by changing new PO to have Print with ZPRN Message Type.

NOTE:
If you have again not happy, keep maintaining Dispatch time: 3 for ZPRN Message Type in “Default values” TAB in configuration*
Also keep maintaining Indicator: Print Operation (1-New) for NEU Message Type and Indicator: Print Operation (1-New) & (2-change) for ZPRN Message Type and save in following path:

Regards,

Biju K

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Biju,

Thanks for the detail outline of the steps. However, that was exactly what I have done and I was not getting ZPRN generated automatically when I made the change to the PO. I have done what you said re the NOTE but pretty much ended up with the same results. As long as I do not have a ZPRN for new, I will not be able to generate a message output with ZPRN for change.

If it has been working for you guys, I would then have to treat this as a bug though I have not been able to find any solution from SAP note yet.

Thanks

SF

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I finally sorted out the problem! Found that I have to set the 'New Message Determination Process for Change Messages' indicator in the configuration of the schema (under 'Assign Schema to Purchase Order').

I have tested with this indicator before but it didn't work for me. Must have missed out some steps/configuration in between I think.

But here is the reason. Below is the final configuration that needs to be set up for the handling of different output type for new and changed PO. Hopefully it will benefit other people in the future.

1. Created a new output type ZPRN for solely printing changed PO. This is a copy of NEU. The relevant partner record is set up.

2. In 'Fine-Tuned Control: Purchase Order', remove entry for option 1(new) for PO output type NEU and create a new entry for option 2 (change) for output type ZPRN.

3. Add new output type ZPRN to the message schema.

4. In 'Assign Schema to Purchase Order' config, select the 'New Message Determination Process for Change Messages' indicator for the schema.

4. Via MN04/MN05, maintain one output condition record for NEU to email and another one for ZPRN to print.

Regards

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

panugans411
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is your business background which forced you to have different output types( message types) on creation of PO and changing of PO?

In Standard, you can use one output type( message type) for Print and E-mail. If you want have difference between PO creation and PO change, you can have version number appearing in PO layout.To have PO version on PO changes, then design PO version to appear for any PO changes on change record with t.code:ME22N in table CDHDR.

NOTE:

Discuss with Technical for logic in PO Smartform (PO Smartform which assign to your PO message type in  t.code:NACE)to have on change record with t.code:ME22N in table CDHDR for your PO version which to appear in your PO layout.

Regards,

Biju K

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! Our requirement is to email all new POs created. However, output on subsequent changes are not allowed to go via email. It is on a case by case basis. Because we cannot control the generation of the message output by the condition records (currently set to external send for document type NB), we were looking at using the output type. Hence, the thought of using NEU for new POs and a ZPRN for changed PO. Choosing a Z print output type allows the business to optionally print the output when needed. After testing, I do not think that it is that straight forward and as flexible as we originally thought. Also, versioning will not meet our needs as it is more about controlling the output rather than the content of the PO.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Regards

SF

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see no issue with this approach (NEU for new POs and a ZPRN for changed PO), we are using it for many years, like it was posted by sanjeet kumar

via the condition records it is easy to control where/how the output hs to be processed.

And if the user doesn't for whatever reason not want the small Change output ZPRN, then he can manually add another NEU in the messages.

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jürge,

Unfortunately, I have done the necessary configuration and it didn't work for me.

To re-iterate, below is the configuration done to-date:

1. Created a new output type ZPRN for solely printing changed PO. This is a copy of NEU. The relevant partner record is set up.

2. In 'Fine-Tuned Control: Purchase Order', I have removed entry for option 1(new) for PO output type NEU and created a new entry for option 2 (change) for output type ZPRN.

3. Add new output type ZPRN to the message schema.

4. Via MN04/MN05, I have maintained one output condition record for NEU to email and another one for ZPRN to print. Both are set for document type NB.

Testing

1. When the PO is first created and approved, a message output record NEU is generated automatically. This is for email.This means that the configuration and condition record (step 4) works.

2. When I made a change and saved, I got an error indicating that there is no message output record generated. This is one problem.

3. If I try to manually add in the message output record ZPRN in the PO, I noticed that the 'Change' indicator is not set. This means that yes I can print the output BUT it is not going to treat it as a change and display the changes on the output.

I separately tested a new PO by manually adding in a ZPRN message output when creating the PO and output it. Then, I did a change and a message output record is generated for ZPRN and the 'Change' indicator is selected. This shows that the output condition record set up for ZPRN does works.  So, it seems that we always need the message output type for the new printout before the same output type can recognise the change for subsequent change output.

Can you confirm whether you are able to have a different message output type without the need to have that same output type generated for a new PO in the first place? i.e.

New PO output: NEU

Change PO output: ZPRN

At the moment, I have to have

New PO output: NEU and ZPRN

Change PO output: ZPRN

Thanks

SF

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can confirm that you have to have a NEU output before you can have a change output.

Isn't that logical anyway?

Can you change a vendor master before you created it?

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, no problem having a NEU output which is what we have and this NEU output is set to email. The problem is we also need to have a ZPRN output for NEW PO output before the system will recognise future changes. It may be a logical thing from SAP's perspective (i.e. need the original output to recognise changes). It's just that based on reading the configuration document, etc, one would think that we will be able to configure and work with different output type for new and changes.

So, I will need to have two message output records when I first created and approved the PO:

NEU for email

ZPRN for print

Then when I make a change,

ZPRN for print with 'Change' indicator is selected.

Perhaps it wasn't a problem for you because you are re-printing the whole PO and not highlighting just the changes?

What's the purpose of the vendor master change question?

Regards

SF

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am certain that I start with a NEU message.

And when something is changed I get a AEND message (my equivalent to your ZPRN)

I do not need to have a AEND message right from the beginning, this does not make any sense, and would confuse my users like it confuses you right now.

The purpose of the vendor master change was just meant as an example, because what you described looked like you want start with a change message, which is not logical for me, as you can only change what has existed before.

Maybe you have a requirement entered for your change message ZPRN (probably still there from copy of NEU) in the message schema.

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Jürgen for your patience. So, no I am actually trying to do similar thing as what you did in your system. I wasn't starting with a change message. Am only expecting the change message output after the PO is changed subsequently. However, I am not getting the change message output record.

And no, there is no requirement entered for the change message. I probably have to find a demo system to try out.

Thanks

SF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Change Indicator: Print Operation (1-New) for one output type and ( 2-chnage ) for another output type and  save.

Use the below path,

SPRO  -> MM  -> Purchasing - > Message  -> Output control  ->  Message types  ->  Define message type for Purchase Order -> Fine-Tuned Control: Purchase Order.

Regards

Sanjeet Kumar

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sanjeet,

Unfortunately, that didn't work. I did configured it that way in that 1 for output type NEU and 2 for output type ZPRN but no the message output record for ZPRN would not appear after I changed the PO. It will only appear if I manually create a message output record for ZPRN and output it first. After that, when I subsequently make the change to the PO, the ZPRN message output record can be created with the change indicator turned on. In summary, it only works if the same output type is used for new output initially. To illustrate it better,

1. Create PO.

2. Initial output for new PO has to be ZPRN.

3. Change PO.

4. Change indicator will then be set for the new output for changed PO ZPRN.

It didn't work in the following case:

1. Create PO.

2. Initial output for new PO is NEU.

3. Change PO.

4. Change indicator will NOT be set for the new output for changed PO ZPRN. You have to have the ZPRN printed as NEW before it works.

Hope that makes sense of the problem I'm encountering.

Regards

Siow Fong

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all! I found a way to met my requirements but still want to float the original question out here to see whether there is anything which I can do differently.

My current solution is not to use any new output type. Instead, use the 'Change Output' button/function on the PO message screen to generate the changed output record for NEU. However, I believe there will be people who wants to generate a different change output type automatically. In this case, how do we achieve that without generating a output for the 'newly introduced' output type for changed PO? It seems that I have to generate 2 outputs - one for email (under output type NEU) and one for print (under ZPRN) which will go nowhere so that subsequent PO changes made will allow the system to generate the output for the changed PO under output type ZPRN.