Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live cache Database Migration

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Livecache Experts,

Need some expert advice regarding the SCM+Live cache Hetrogenous Migration.

We are planning to migration our SCM+Live cache from AIX to Linux. As this is Os Migration, we have refered the SAP note: 632357. Which Gives step by step information how to migrate the livecache.

Now the problem is that our livecache database size is 70GB and if we go as per the SAP note of migrating the data from live cache to Oracle master table. We don't know how much time it will take and we have very short downtime to do this migration. Is there any option to make this live cache migration from Live cache database to Oracle faster in source system and then target system migrate data from Oracle master table to Live cache database.

OR

I have heard we can install the fresh live cache without old database and whereas after making SCM system migration and not live cache ( Install fresh live cache), after some days again the data will get populated in live cache database ( CAN IT BE POSSIBLE, IT WILL SAVE OUR TIME OF MIGRATION). In such case we need to do only migration of SCM database and not Live Cache.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil Bhandary,

* It's recommended to run the liveCache migration test on SCM production copy before to run it

on the production system. Then you could optimize the download/upload, check/fix the errors occurred during the steps, estimate the runtimes of the steps. It will definitly reduce the downtime when you run the migration of the liveCache on the PROD system!

* Apply all recommended notes from 1008187.

* In section A of /SAPAPO/OM_LC_DOWNLOAD_UPLOAD report you recommended to delete the planning versions & data which you don't need on the system. Run all inconsistencies & delete the superfl. data.

* You downloaded only the transactional liveCache data. The master data you have in SCM database.

The dowload of the liveCache data internally run in parallel. You need to check the OS resources, CPU & memory, on the liveCache source server. And it's good to grant more CPU for the liveCache. Check the value of MAXCPU. Avoid the datacache usage 100% during download run. Check the availability of the free DIAs WPs on the appl. server.

* When you will reconnect the SCM system to the target liveCache using the SAP note: 632357.

Before to run C section steps of /SAPAPO/OM_LC_DOWNLOAD_UPLOAD you have to do the liveCache tunning, parameters check using DB analyzer ...

The upload of the liveCache data internally run in parallel. You need to check the OS resources, CPU & memory, on the liveCache target server. And it's good to grant more CPU for the liveCache. Check the value of MAXCPU. Avoid the datacache usage 100% during upload master data & liveCache tr. data run. Check the availability of the free DIAs WPs on the appl. server.

* The liveCache data are not populated by themself on frash installed systems.

You have to check & know what APO data you have on the system, what liveCache transaction data you have on the system.

Please follow steps of the SAP note: 632357 for the liveCache migration.

If something is not clear on steps of the SAP note: 632357, please create the SAP message to BC-DB-LCA component.

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Natalia,

Thanks a lot for your earlier reply which help me to understand the migration process of SCM and live cache.

Need your some quick help on below query, waiting eagerly  for reply.

In our landscape we are only and only using DP in our SCM system (As mention by my SCM consultant). We raise the OSS with SAP saying we are using only DP in SCM system. So SAP suggest if we are using the DP only then we can skip the Live cache migration if we have the 100% DP data backup in BI infocube.

Also if i am not wrong same thing is mention in SAP note: 632357.

So, Based on SAP reply and with reference to OSS note, we are skipping the Live cache migration and we are going to move only SCM database from AIX to Linux and we will freshly install the Live cache in Target Linux envrioment.

Based on above statement i have couple of queries, if you can reply on this it will be great help to me as well as for the people, to whom this has same question for moving ahead for such type of migration.

1. After Fresh installing the Live cache on Target system,  should we use the Report /SAPAPO/OM_LC_DOWNLOAD_UPLOAD (Execution from Section C) for Live cache post activity live initialization and other steps or we should follow the SAP guide for Live cache initialization and post activity  ??

2. We are using SCM 7.02 which is non - unicode and on Source Live cache is also Non - unicode, Do we need to take care anything special for non-unicode system in target for Live Cache ??

3. How the SCM team will restore the data from BI infocube for SCM DP data ?

4. Do they have to restore only SCM DP data or they have to restore Master data from SCM database and then SCM DP data from BI info Cube ?

5. How they will restore the Master data, if they have to restore it before the SCM DP Data ?

6. Any special precaution should take in such type of Migration.

7. Need to understand before skipping Live cache, do i need to do some additional activity on source live case (additional activity i should take care on Source live cache) ?

8. As we are going to migrate the SCM database only, do i need to take care of anything on SCM database which has relation with SCM data and live cache.

Thanks & Regards,

Anil Bhandary

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil Bhandary,

I think that it's better to create the SAP message and get the SAP support with all spesific to your system data questions. There is SAP consulting available for the systems migration as well.

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Natalia,

Not to take a risk. So we decided to go with complete Live cache Migration.

Your earlier reply helped, to migrate the live cache.

We have migrated of live cache to our new environment, thanks for all your support.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anil,

Ideally, You do not need to Migrate LiveCache and Only SCM Migration is Sufficient.

You install Fresh LiveCache without any data and After SCM Migration, Functional Team can Push Required data from SCM to LiveCache.

Shivam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Anil

My thought-Live Cache has master data from APO in compressed form ( this can be copied again in new LC by APO team i guess )

However

1.it will also have transactional  data (sales order,purchase order etc)

2. time series of current planning data ,some anchor tables mapping

I am not sure how the point 1 and 2 is taken care if fresh LC is installed ,checking with functional first can be good idea

success!!

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Functional Team has confirm me saying Live cache contains only Master data and no Transaction data.

Also They use SCM for Sales Forecasting functionality and nothing else.

In this case what you suggest. Install Fresh Livecache and push data from SCM to livecache.

Or  follow the procedure of Livecache migration as per SAP note: 632357.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

Former Member
0 Kudos

That sounds good for clarification from APO team

however -I am not sure how much time it takes to get your data from APO to Live Cache

Normally APO team copies delta via CIF from ECC to APO  and then to LC on daily basis

If it has time series related data then copying that can take bit long and it may be like going live again

unless if there is any more good option  ,My personal choice and opinion - I would go with SAP as per SAP note

-Also check via OSS message  if they can comment on this something ( I know it may come under consulting issue than operation issue ,but can be tried once )

-One more though to this -get export of existing LC and use at the time of new install OR use MAXDB Pipe method to create new LC

Success!!

Message was edited by: Ganesh Gambhir