cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to migrate to SAP from .NET.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My domain knowledge is from .NET with that I have also worked on MS SQL , Oracle, Informix and bit on Reporting and Data modeling. I have about 3 yrs of experience in in IT industry.

I have just started to inquire into SAP domain. I find SAP BI and HANA interesting. But have no previous knowledge into SAP I require some candid suggestions. I am sincere about shifting my career into SAP so please help me on this. thank in advance.

Should I do with SAP BI? what are career prospective and advancement ? or should I go for HANA?

Should I know Hana in order to generate report with SAP BI? please make me clear on it ..thanks!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shree,

Its a good move. A little proffessional training would certainly help you get started. Since you already have programming knowledge you might find things easier. If you really have the passion and interest, you find a lot of resources like documents, SDN discussion etc that would help you in a great way.

But, remember, if someone went to a .NET forum and said they are switching from SAP to .NET they would receive the same warm welcome. It is up to you to decide WHY you want to make the switch to a new technology when you already seem to be knowledgeable in other tools. Do some self introspection on why you want this...

Goodluck,

Benedict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Benedict you reply is really practical and I will sincerely give some thought to it. Actually, I am planning to switch into SAP BI or HANA bcos I want to move abroad ASAP (US with in 2-3 yrs) and I see some boom in SAP market. I have also worked on ERP windows base product development.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shree,

For onsite opportunities are changing day by day. So you can't decide that on technology. May be if you came to SAP and then onsite opportunities got reduced then you will feel like you should have been in .NET

So give preference to what you want to learn and work and give 100%, opportunities will come to you.

Regards,

Ganesh

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shree,

As you mentioned you have "worked on MS SQL , Oracle, Informix and bit on Reporting and Data modeling." So it will be good for you to start with SAP HANA.

Knowledge of BI is not required to learn HANA. You should look for Developer aspect of SAP HANA

As youy know .NET, so i hope you might also have knowledge of JavaScript and HTML - it will help you a lot in building web applications using HANA.

Even if someone doen't has the knowledge of BI, you can easily learn HANA Modeling concepts.

BW knowledge is a must only if you are going to work on BW on HANA.

Knowing BW helps you in understanding Modeling concepts and when you want DXC to transfer data from SAP Business Suite System to HANA.

But if you also want to learn BI, its good and it will definitely help you in gthe long run.

You can also check my blog to learn more and get all the required learning materials:

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/hana/blog/2013/06/25/want-to-learn-sap-hanawhere-to-st...

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shree,

SAP BI or HANA is good option. both are having there own advantages. As u know have .NET experience you can be a good developer in HANA. Also ABAP is not much diffult and as you can understand functional and Warehouse aspects then BI is also not bad.

It is not totally based you what you want if you want to work on Dataware house and reporting kind of tool then BI is good. Of you like to learn more on Businss Process and its customization perspecting HANA is good option. I can't see still customers are moving to HANA so fast but in future they need to.

Also one thing in HANA you have many other aspects like administration where you can also look for.

Check documents on help.sap.com to get what these modules do and then decide on your interest area.

Regards,

Ganesh