Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to handle physical warehouse move

former_member226308
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I need your advice on this.

We have a warehouse that will be physically move to other location about 25 miles away from current location.

Per business, the new warehouse will have the same attributes i.e. storage type, bin, etc. as existing warehouse.

And all material will be placed into the same bin as existing warehouse after the move.

With that said, what would be the best and efficient way to make this transition in SAP.

Can we just move the physical inventory to the new location while keeping the existing warehouse as is, meaning no

transactions in SAP (except for the address change) only the physical move.

I know there will be a lot of manual tracking until all physical move is completed.

Is this a feasible solution?

What is the guideline for something like this?

BTW, we have SD, MM, PP, FI/CO implemented in addition to WM.

Thank you in advance,

Eddie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is certainly convenient to have the same setup and move the material only physically.

But as you already said, this can take some time.

And during this time you do not really know where the stuff is.

you could create a second location and move it only in MM, while it is just a posting change notice in WM. So you could at least know from MM where the material is.

But this is dangerous in my eyes too.

You certainly need to perform a physical inventory after the move is completed, as you cannot be certain that the stock is really sitting in the right bins.

And usually with such activities, you find already differences when you start moving, you find damaged materials which you want scrap, and often (too often) someone tries to optimize things with such a reorganisation.

I see several times a year when I do system mergers and migrations, when we talk about scope it is just a 1:1 transfer, but latest when I have the first test run done, then the scope changes and new ideas are growing.

With that experience in mind I would have setup a brand new warehouse (probably by copy), but then do the full cycle of movements and TOs.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The best option would be to keep the configuration and data intact in SAP and do a physical inventory count for all the materials in warehouse. You don't have to change address as warehouse does not maintain any address in the system.