cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do Sequential and Parallel approvals at the same time in workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are using Classic Scenario and are on 7.02.  We are still using the BRF workflow from 7.01 and not using the BRF+ yet that is in 7.02.

I would like to ask the following question.

Currently we are using our workflow to do go in sequential order so the next person doesn't get the cart until the previous person has approved.  Now we have a requirement from some of our sites that want to basically do sequential order approval along with parallel order approval.  I am wanting to know if anyone is doing this currently and if it is possible.  Below is a little bit more details.

The suggestion is to allow the flexibility for any approver levels in the 'spend matrix' to approve the request when they have same approval limit so as to cut short the waiting time.  Meaning if there are 3 different groups required to approve for the same limit, let's say a $1K, they do not need to wait for each person to approve this.  The approval can be done by anyone of the 3 and when the 3 approvals are completed then only move to the next approver limit.

For example,

0 – FL

1 – FM

2 – Buyer

3 – FI

4 – IT

5 – Reg IT > 1K

6 – EHS

7 – AC, CC, IO, BS, PC owner

8 – Asset NRE – Finance Acct Mgr (AS + FG)

9 – IO – Finance Cost Mgr (IO + GL 43010)

10 – Jigs & fixture WCM (XX)

11 – OPM Jigs & fixture > 3K

12 – BUM Jigs & fixture > 3K

13 – Asst Controller Jigs & fixture > 3K

14 – FI Controller Jigs & fixture > 30K

15 – OPD Jigs & fixture > 50K

16 – BUD Jigs & fixture > 50K

17 – Op VP Jigs & fixture > 100K

18 – Bu VP Jigs & fixture > 100K

19 – MTG Controller Jigs & fixture > 100K

20 – Op SVP Jigs & fixture > 200K

21 – MTG CEO Jigs & fixture > 300K

22 – PU Mgr

23 – Material Manager

For Lev 11-13, OPM, BUM and Asst cont, since their limit is same 3K, anyone of them can freely approve and not restrict by sequence.  But only upon 3 of their approvals are complete only can move to next level.  The same is required from Levels 11-21.

However for Levels 0-10 and 22-23, they must still follow sequence that upon the prior level approved only then can move to next level to approve.

The reason for the request is the site is looking for improving the approval cycle time in all areas including system.  Appreciate if both of you can review the feasibility of this customization and provide some advice/feedback.  Let me know if the above explanation is not clear.

Thanks,

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

konstantin_anikeev
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

I think it's possible. You could try to define Steps 11 - 21 as a single step and use a parallel approval with different decision sets.

Please have a look at http://scn.sap.com/thread/3408140

Regards

Konstantin

Answers (0)