cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Jam: Accounts vs email vs instances vs ...

fred_verheul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Not sure this belongs here, but after several hours wasted during the last few months I decided to try to understand the SAP Jam product.

My actual problem is: I have a company account (related to my company email address), and now I start receiving invites (for groups) on that same email address (used to be another email address belonging to the same company but not the same domain), but when I click through, I somehow still get to a different account (or instance??), with an empty profile. I can switch between these 2, but I can't see the invites from the company view.

So my question is: how do accounts, instances, email addresses etc relate to each other?

Second question (which I'd already given up on): is there a way out of this mess? I would like to have just 1 account, with as many email addresses attached as I like, and to be able to see everything, all groups, feeds, etc.

Thanks for any clarification!

Fred Verheul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

robert_horne
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

I'm not sure I completely understand the question.

Especially the part where you say:

.now I start receiving invites (for groups) on that same email address (used to be another email address belonging to the same company but not the same domain),

Could you give me an example of this? Is your Jam a free edition that you got when you signed up for a new free instance, or is your Jam connected to the BizX platform. This means your company paid for some SuccessFactors product.

Generally a Jam user will have one company account, this account is usually associated with one e-mail address. If someone from another company invited you to an External User  Jam group owned by their company Acme corp. You would receive an e-mail inviting you to register for an account on that company's Jam instance. When you entered that Jam instance you would see the branding of Acme corp everywhere and it would look very different to your Jam. This is one way of getting a second account.

This does not seem like the scenario you are describing, it sounds like you are getting a second account inside the same company. Could you follow up with an example that might help me understand your situation better?

Thanks,

fred_verheul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Thanks for chiming in. I was already afraid I'd not made myself clear enough

OK, we're talking free Jam only. My corporate email address used to be firstname.lastname @ nl4b.com

That's the email address which is linked to my Jam account (I think).

Since some time now we (at NL for Business) use firstname.lastname @ nl4b.nl

That's where the earlier invites went to, and because it's the same company, it's a nuisance that Jam doesn't recognize this (apparently the last part of the domain is relevant for determining the domain/company, which might make sense in general, but not always, and we're not even an international company).

Now the latest group invites are targeted at my nl4b.com email address (as requested by me several times), but when I open the link to view the invite on Jam (example link:

https://jam4.sapjam.com/extranet/jamatsap.com;IDSactivation=6690939102C0878547A23D41A22CC5E52BDF2118...)

I get (this morning, not sure of earlier result) an Invitation Conflict:

and when I choose continue I have to log on (can't remember I had to do that yesterday) for email address ...@nl4b.com.

I hope this clarifies. I've now got another problem because I can't logon (even after password reset)... but that might be reason to start another thread (sigh).

Cheers, Fred

P.S. I think you're correctly assuming I've got invites from another company (and I think it's SAP ). But I find it very odd that to be added to a group within(?) that company (surely groups go beyond company boundaries, otherwise how can you collaborate effectively??) I get a different account, though it's still the same me.

Thanks again for thinking along, hope you can show me the right way to engage on Jam, because at the moment I feel rather helpless.

Cheers, Fred

robert_horne
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Fred

It all makes sense to me now. I have some capacity to see the SAP ID accounts that you have and have been able to figure out what is going on here.

You have a Jam account with your company which you got from signing up for a free Jam account. This is linked to nl4b.com, but this really doesn't matter.

What is happening is that you are being invited to an External Group by an SAP employee. This group belongs to SAP and requires you to have a separate account with SAP's External collaboration space in Jam. External collaboration is not available to all versions of SAP Jam. For instance in your free edition you are not allowed to invite people outside your company, but SAP employees have access to an edition of Jam that allows this. When you successfully logon to this guest group you will see that it has access to extra features that you might not see in your free edition groups, like forums, and different content types for example. The account is also administered by an SAP company admin, who can choose to ban you from the group if you were doing or saying things inappropriate. But I think you understand all this from my last post.

The problem comes from the fact that this new account uses SAP ID, SAP's central identity system to allow users to login to their guest Jam accounts. I did a little look up and you have two SAP ID accounts. One is tied to your .com e-mail and the other is tied to your .nl e-mail. Now what is happening is that you are being invited to Jam with your .com account, but when you click on the link in the invitation e-mail we can see that you are logged in with your browser with your .nl account to SAP ID via SCN. This is also linked to your customer S-number. So when you look at the screen what is really telling you is that: "Hey you already have a session with SAP ID connected to a different account. If you click continue we will logout the .nl email session and ask you to login with your .com e-mail address, because this is the e-mail that was invited to Jam." My guess is that the last time you tried this you didn't get this prompt because you didn't have an existing session with SCN.

That's a lot to right, I hope this makes sense.

One thing to remember. You have two SAP ID accounts, ensure you know each accounts password or you may make a mistake by accident. You can look at them by going to accounts.sap.com and try logging in with your two different e-mails.

fred_verheul
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the investigationand the thorough explanation. I've got to admit: it even starts to make sense to me now (and I really didn't think I was going to say that ).

That said, I assume I will have to make up my mind about what account I want to continue with (SAP ID account that is). For the moment though I'll just accept the fact that I can't have it all.

Thanks again for clarifying!

Cheers, Fred

robert_horne
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Glad to hear that makes sense. The one place where we have run into some customer trouble is with users who have a lot of SAP ID accounts. Usually a person is only actively using one of them but because of their history with SAP they have numerous different accounts. We are collaborating with the SAP ID team to see if we can make that part a little easier for the end user.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm in exactly the same situation - apparently having two accounts - and would love exactly the same solution

Steve.