cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure email addresses in PI for error handling?

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Is it possible to configure external email addresses in PI? I want to handle system errors in PI and send email to configured email addreses.

I know there is alert configuration via ALRTCATDEF but there we need userid and this userid should be created in PI system.

it is cumbersome to create userids every time a new email address has to be added.

is ALRTCATDEF the only option? Is there any other easy way in PI where we can just configure email address easily. 

kindly help.

Thanks

Gopal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nitindeshpande
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

There is no other way except having a Distribution List (Group of IDs) in the SU01 of the username profile.

Instead of creating the users all the time, create one user and have the email ID as Distribution List, this Distribution List can be edited by you whenever you want without any tedious step like creating a user.

And as far as i know, this can be done only using ALRTCATDEF Transaction code.

Regards,

Nitin

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gopalkrishna,

Also you can check  http://scn.sap.com/message/10454436#10454436

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

Is it possible to configure external email addresses in PI? I want to handle system errors in PI and send email to configured email addreses

yes you can.

please refer below thread

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1052648

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

In your solution, again SAP user has to be created. Is there a way we can avoid it and directly add email addresses instead of userids?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

Instead of writing user id each time.can you just create one team id/distribution list and same distribution list you insert in alert configuration.

Advantages of using ditribution list:-

You dont have to insert every time new user in list in alert configuration.

If any user is added or removed it will be at distribution list which you can do it easily.You dont have to go to alert configuration each time.

Regards,

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

how to define distribution list in ALRTCATDEF? Do you mean to assign one userid as fixed receipient with multiple email-addresses ins su01?

Is it is possible to assign distribution lists defined in SAP Business Workplace and where?

Thanks Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Yes,it is possible to have distribution list in alert configuration.I will tell you the procedure.

Go to tcode SO23.There you have an option of creating private distribution list.

Than click on create option,you will see name,title,features option available.Fill all the details and you can add as many user as you want in this list.

Your DL will get created,after creating this go to alrtcatdef and in recipients option.Type that list.after that you can use DL as recipient list will work.

Regards,

Abhi

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

I want to add external email address directly in alertcatdef instead of userid. Is this possible?

This I think is not possible. So looking for alternative solution if any.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

sorry to ask again but I am probably blind

I've created the distribution list but did not find the place to assign it in ALRTCATDEF.

On the alert category I am only able to assign user id's as fixed receipients but not the DL.

Where to assigne the DL there?

Thanks again

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gopal,

Yes,it is possible.I have already shared the procedure with micheal in my response.

Go to tcode SO23.There you have an option of creating private distribution list.

Than click on create option,you will see name,title,features option available.Fill all the details and you can add as many user as you want in this list.

Your DL will get created,after creating this go to alrtcatdef and in recipients option.Type that list.after that you can use DL as recipient list will work.

Regards,

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Micheal,

I will tell you in details:-

Go to SO23:-

Create Distribution list name:-In my case I have created one:-

Now enter all the email id which you want to enter here.

As per your recipient type,you can choose from drop down box.

Now,what ever you have typed in name in first screenshot will be your DL list.

Now go to alrtcatdef in the fixed recipient type that DL name.

Just try,it will work for you.

Regards,

Abhi

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

I tries what you said above. i created a distribution list TEST_DL. But when I enter the same in fixed recipient of ALRTCATDEF I get an error:

Entry TEST_DL   does not exist in USR02 (check entry)

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

I tried what you said above. i created a distribution list TEST_DL. But when I enter the same in fixed recipient of ALRTCATDEF I get an error:

Entry TEST_DL   does not exist in USR02 (check entry)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

I have the same problem as Gopalkrishna. The DL is defined but cannot be assigned in ALRTCATDEF Fixed Receipients. Is it somewhere else?

/Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

share screenshot for details

Former Member
0 Kudos

share screenshot for details

Former Member
0 Kudos

DL in SO23:

ALRTCATDEF:

Then error message occurs:

Entry BLUEANT   does not exist in USR02 (check entry)

BLUEANT is the name of the DL. So it seems only user names can be assigned here (check against table usr02).

Thanks for your time.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Did you saved the enteries.??If not than please save it and if yes go back to main menu open a new session and check whether the DL list exist or not in same so23.

I hope it will work for you.Because in my project we need to send alert to many stakeholder so we applied this technique and it is working fine.Instead of using by internet can you use email id option is available.Internet we use when we want  to sent the alert to HP SM7 or portal where incidents are logged.

Regards,

Abhinav Verma

gopalkrishna_baliga
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes I did the same. Saved DL. Reopened SO23 and saw that DL that I have created really exists.

But still getting the same error in ALRTCATDEF. It is expecting only userid in fixed recipient.

Not sure how it really worked for you. I am doubtful of that.

What might have happened is that you might have created a user with the same name as your DL.

It's impossible to work in ALRTCATDEF otherwise. Please recheck your scenario and confirm.