cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct printing to label printers from SAP in a manufacturing environment?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have just implemented a new manufacturing solution from SAP. Our first factory go live next month. SAP will be printing to 70 label/barcode printers.The labels must be printed in an exact sequence. But I was wondering what the risks are if we print directly from SAP to the printer. IE: No priint servers.

Can someone please point me to any SAP recommendations regarding printing direct from SAP and the risks involved in terms of performance, and print job managment as opposed to managing with UniQ or Window print servers.

Thanks

Steve

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depending on your printers you could have issues on how complex the label is; with my experience with Zebra 105 SLs, I followed Zebra's documents and setup the printers with method U functional teams did their testing, things looked good.

At the first two locations that went live with SAP, the Zebra printers were spitting out random labels and having 5 to 10 min delays; due to a functional team member informing my CIO directly this was due to no print server, I had the joy of whipping up 30 printers on a Windows print server.   I dislike situations where functional people dictate solutions to managers vs myself, and having to do the work on the fly while on the conference bridge at 21:00 my timezone!

However since the print server has been configured for the label printers, all of the labels print properly.  Looking back at the issue, I can only assume that SAP's spool system (or the label configurations) beat the label printer's buffer and prevented all the labels to print off and printing the labels in random order.  The reason why this was probably not caught in the testing months before, the team printed a few labels at a time throughout the day.  While the site has multiple users printing, far more labels to move the inventory through the warehouse/trucks.

While it can be done without a print server, in the long run you may have far less calls with a print server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Steve,

1. SAP will be printing to 70 label/barcode printers.The labels must be printed in an exact sequence.

Does the job in SAP sends spool requests to different printers or single printer?

2. I was wondering what the risks are if we print directly from SAP to the printer ?

There are two methods to print from SAP to printer without printer server

- > Access method L - print locally ( For this you need to configure CUPS at UNIX )

Risk - Frequently printer gets disabled at UNIX.
Advantage - Print request lies in the queue, even if printer is disabled.

- > Access method U - This uses berkeley protocol in communicating with printer directly.

Risk - We will loose print request if they is any latency in the Network.
Advantage - Fast in sending data to printer.

Follow below thread

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile711/helpdata/en/c1/d4ea3bb5af9112e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm
http://scn.sap.com/thread/2114684

Thanks
Ganesh