cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iSeries backup - MCH1668 X'0000'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a short script that performs daily backup of SAP system for me and the first thing that it does it INZTAP on device TAP20.

The job crashes with MCH1668 X'0000' "System object TAP20 partially damaged"

What are my options:

1. Can i just delete and recreate a tape drive device?

2. Is there a way i can recover that device without having any backups of it?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kurt_wagner
Explorer
0 Kudos

An often missed i5/os command is

RTVCFGSRC  CFGD(*ALL) CFGTYPE(*ALL)            

SRCFILE(QGPL/CFGSRC) SRCMBR(cfgsrc)

the source file needs to be created first using the command

CRTSRCPF QGPL/CFGSRC

When the command performs successful you can have a look into the created source file

dsppfm qgpl/cfgsrc mbr(cfgsrc)

and see the commands necessary to recreate all devices.

In your case I am not sure if you can run the RTVCFGSRC or not. If it is successful however you can easily delete the old device and recreate a new one using the commands listed in file qgpl/cfgsrc.

0 Kudos

Hello Matt.

1. Yes. You can. Use DSPHDWRSC *STG to check that TAP* resources is Operational and  what resource are used by device descriptor TAP20 (if you have only one tape device attached to partition or you know controller position for which your tape attached). As mentioned above by Kurt you can use cl source for recreate device.

If you have full system save or you use SAVCFG during your backups you can delete and restore device descriptor from tape or *savf.

2. Check resource name by DSPHDWRSC *STG for TAP* and create tap device descriptor

CRTDEVTAP DEVD(TAP20) RSRCNAME("Resource name") ONLINE(*NO) ASSIGN(*YES)

UNLOAD(*YES) MSGQ(QSYS/QSYSOPR)                   

Former Member
0 Kudos

DSPHDWRSC is a great command but all my tape devices are buried as "associated resources" underneath the storage controller. If you're not familiar with that screen, it can be tough to find your device. If all you want to do is "re-create" the current damaged device description, you can just copy the current description. To wit: Vary off the current device description. Then,wrkdevd tap20 - Option 3. Type in the exact same name (tap20) at the prompt, then system request 1 to the "other side" and delete the current device description for tap20. Flip back and hit enter.