SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's coming next in Point of Sale (cash register) systems ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the amount of activity happening in mobile devices, mobile payments, and affordable, pretty secure wireless networking, do you think yesterday's cash register and related applications will evolve into something new, or pretty much stay the same ?

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pretty much stay the same. Probably more self checkout or more online shopping.

0 Kudos

Not sure I agree - am starting to see collaborative shopping list ideas, loyalty tied to payment processes, and handheld apps for store employees. Retailers like Sephora have taken SAP POS and moved it from Cash Registers to iPod Touch devices with help from our partner Kyrus Solutions.  Have you used any mobile shopping apps, and what do you think?

0 Kudos

if using iPod Touch, does it mean cashier uses iPod Touch to scan the product?

0 Kudos

Yes. A partner called Kyrus Solutions has written an iPod Touch client. Apparently, its best with a bluetooth / embedded scanner/imager in a "shoe" that the iPod slides into, but you can also use the camera. My experience so far is I prefer the "shoe" device, as they can also support credit cards, gift cards, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Colin:

This is just matter of time ! Specially with Fashion / Speciality or Luxury retail store segment, this will happen faster.

However if you look at Supermarkets, Departmental stores  and Grocers, they need more robust solution for easy and early check outs system. Lines are big and they also take lot of store space.  I believe it would be interesting to see e-Cart in action, where complete check-out can happen without checkout station.No Scanning and No Credit Card Payment - all in one using Mobile device. I see - this is coming soon..