cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create manual Inspection lot with alternative UOM of material

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear QM gurus,

I have a raw material with base UOM is Ton.Goods are received interms of Ton only.

But samples are collected in Grams for inspection.So I need to create Manual inspection lot for that sample with UOM as Grams.

While creating manual inspection lot for that material system is taking base UOM as sample unit.

How to resolve this issue.

Please help me.

Thanks in adv

Lax.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.. I got to ask this.  I've worked with many chemical firms that make and receive in lots of material, by the tons, via trucks, rail and even ocean going ore ships.

In these cases, do you REALLY need to know an exact amount of sample material?  Are you REALLY taking in a shipment of material that has a BUOM of tons and really inventorying individual sample grams?  Is all the work you are doing for this in the business really value added? 

Cause lets face it, these guys are sticking a pail or jar somewhere in the dispensing stream and simply filling it up.  They usually are not weighing out exactly 640 g or whatever is calculated. 

One sample jar out of a 20 ton delivery isn't going to make a beans of difference on the truck scales or hopper scales.  If it does, then your BUOM should in no way be in tons.  Because .001 ton is the smallest amount you can actually track in SAP which is 1000 grams of material.  So tracking anything less in SAP becomes statistically impossible.

Why even bother with the sample size?  Set your sample qty to a fixed sample size of 1 and let the lab post whatever the quantity of the receipt is.

FF

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Laxman,

UoM in inspection lot would come as BUoM by default. However, you may try following to meet your requirement,

1. Assign the required UoM as alternate unit of measure in material master.

2. Use this alternate unit and create one inspection plan with this for the material.

You also need to check the conversion factor here since you want to convert MT to Grams, system generally do not allow splitting for more than 5 digits. You may want to use Kg instead of Grams to avoid the scenario of 10 raise to the power 6.

This should work. Pl check and revert back

Regards,

ntn