Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAA agents in Distributed Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Let me brief about our environment.

We installed our ABAP and Java systems as distributed installations with virtual host names in one Virtual machine( one IP address ).

scs<sid>

db<sid>

ci<sid>

These virtual host names are registered in DNS server.

Please clarify.

1)  I am new to Solution Manager configuration not sure about how to install SMD agents. Do I have to install three SMD agents for each virtual host name

or

One SMD agent is enough for whole machine.

2) One of the Solman consultants told me that, each virtual host name must have one SMD agent and one IP address.

So in One ABAP system, I have 4 SMD agents , one is for SCS, one is for DB, one is for CI and one is for physcial host ( O.S ).

Is it so ?

3) He also suggested that I can use on-the-fly feature, so one SMD agent is enough for all virtual host names and O.S.

Please guide me.

With Thanks and Regards,

venkat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi venkat,

On-the-Fly feature is suitable in cases where you have Physical or Virtual hostes running large number of Logical Hosts.

Please refer to the Attachment in the following note. There is a very detailed ppt with a all options and startegies. This should aswer all your quries.

Note 1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents

Regards,

Vivek

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To add on to @Vivek's comment, On-the-Fly diag will require that you at least be running SP05 on your SolMan 7.1 system...that is the bare minimum and I recall having some odd issues with On-the-Fly in SP05, if you have to upgrade shoot for SP08.   

Also On-the-Fly diag will only be 'on the fly' if you have multiple <SID>s on the server; for example if you have a clustered message server configuration, you have 3 Production message servers on the cluster then you would require 6 SMD agents (the scenario being 2 nodes for your cluster, and 3 <SID>s).  With On-the-Fly, you install only 2 SMD agents at which point the agents will need to be configured via SolMan to pick up the 3 <SID>s.

To provide some info on point 1 & 2; if the SCS and CI belong to the same SID, you only need to provide 1 SMD agent.  I can also confirm that by leveraging DBA cockpit within SolMan you don't have to have an agent on the SQL server(s); I haven't been able to find anything concrete on why an agent has to be installed to a SQL server, other than a issue at the host level that you may need an alert for, but EWA run without issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Billy Warring wrote:

To provide some info on point 1 & 2; if the SCS and CI belong to the same SID, you only need to provide 1 SMD agent.

Diagnostics agents usage are based on host names (logical,virtual,physical) but not on SIDs of managed components. You only need one agent per host (logical,virtual,physical) even if it contains several managed components (with same or different SIDs).

BKoech
Explorer
0 Kudos

Yes, one SMD per host. Do not assign a host name during the SMD setup wizard. Leave that window blank. The agent-on-fly functionality SP5 and up will pickup all the resources running on the host whose agent is being configured. If it is on a microsoft cluster, be aware that the resource /s will go offline during some phase of the setup. Depending on where or how your cluster group resources / sapmnt share is located, you will cause the whole cluster to failover - So, please plan accordingly. it happened to me, PRD resources failed over to the other node.!!!!

Answers (0)