cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start End-User Experience Monitoring?

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can you please help me with  SAP Configuration guide for EEM  as I did it  1 1/2 year back but I did not recollect the document and I do check

the below,but I am not sure where I need to start or if we have one single guide which will help me out  to whole process 

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27318

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-27265

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/EEM/InstallationGuide -

http://scn.sap.com/people/thomas.goetz/blog/2011/12/07/end-user-experience-monitoring--what-it-is-an...

https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000964442011E/index.htm

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/EEM/Home

Note 1357045 - End-User Experience Monitoring Central Note

Regards,

Neni

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

is it mandatory to install smd agents at end user where we are monitoring eem scripts?

Regards,neni

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

In Solman 7.1 in Solman_workcenter --> Solution Manager Configuration Workcenter, if you select the EEM option under the "Technical Monitoring" you will get all the steps and there help text provided there is good enough to start.

Also to deploy the scripts you will require robots that is the SMD  agents. Unless you install it at the end users machine you cannot get the exact information of the experience of the end user.

If you dont want to install it on the end user machine then you can install it on any other server near by the end users machine. Like if there is an office where multiple users are working then you can install it on a server which is there in the office in the same network. That would atleast give a bit better idea of the users experience.

The best option is off course to install the smd agent on the end users desktop so that the scripts can be run from there and you get the exact values of the time durations.

Regards,

Vishal

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SMD installation files have numerous supported platforms, so if you have a Windows XP system you can install a SMD x32 agent and assign scripts from that point.  Or if you can talk to your employees on site to the location you want to run them from, you can perhaps work out something to leverage a system that isn't used much for workloads (print server, older desktop system, etc etc).

One consideration I would point out, is that if you install the agent to a end user's PC and the script you assign is a complex one; the agent my report abnormal results as your user is going to be trying to use the computer while the agent is in the middle of the script.

Another thought that could be useful for you to try...   This would allow you to replicate a remote location and you could use VMs or actual hardware.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for your reply.

1.I am not able to install SMD at the end user system due to Host name has 14 characters,

if I install only the EEM recorder/editor will the result will be good  to get the end user information?

2.EEM robots is so called SMD agent?

3.for example: I have 2 system AAB and ABC and I want to use this system for EEM where I need to  define it in SolMan? 

Regards,

Neni

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

To get the good result we need to install SMD agent in the end user system right?

I am not able install the SMD in my Windows 7 due  14 characteristic? Will this an issue or I doing some thing wrong?

Thanks for your reply.

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

1. As mentioned by Billy please check proper version suitable as per the end users OS. I am not aware about the basis activities so cannot comment much on that. Also there are OS independent agents if I am not wrong.

The EEM Recorder will help you record the script and the Editor will help you edit that recorded script like changing the thresholds for the steps. This is the only purpose and they cannot help in any other way so it doesn't matter where you install these 2 applications.

2. The SMD agents when used to run the EEM scripts are called EEM Robots.

3. If  AAB and ABC are you end user machines from where you want to monitor the performance then you need to install the EEM robot on that machine and connect the robot (SMD agent) to Solman. Then in the EEM setup in the select agent step just search for the agents and these two will be listed. Select them as EEM robots and then deploy scripts on them so you will be able to monitor the experience from those systems.

If they are the SAP systems like ERP, CRM which you want to monitor then there information will be covered while creating the scripts. If you create a script for t-code VA01 then the login details for that ERP system will be captured in that script. You dont need to define those system anywhere else. Only point is that the end user machine which you select should have the connectivity to the system you want to monitor.

Also it is advisable to install the agent on a separate system that is not being operated so that other system load or users activity does not affect the result. Eg if in an office there are 100 ppl working then you can install the agent on a shared server which is just being used to share files or printer servers. Since they are in the same network in that office so it should not make much difference in the results, also that system will remain on 24x7.

Regards,

Vishal

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The EEM recorder is the tool that will record the script and should be used by your functional team leads.

EEM robots are the SMD agents, we refer to them as robots as they are not handling the typical monitoring of an SAP system.

After you install the SMD agent you navigate to tx Solman_setup > Managed Systems > Hosts.  After you manage it like a typical host navigate to Technical Monitoring > End User Monitoring; as you go through the guided setup you will see your SMD agent aka robot.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depends on your network infrastructure, are you trying to find an issue with the local LAN and WAN or just looking to obtain data on how well SAP runs over your WAN?

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

I amin the LAN and not able to install for Window 7 SMD agent as issue with Host name.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Then in the EEM setup in the select agent step just
search for the agents and these two will be listed. Select them as EEM robots
and then deploy scripts on them so you will be able to monitor the experience
from those systems
. --->For example I have EEM robot sap21server (SMD agent) which is in USA and EEM robotsap22server-If I deploy the scripts and select sap21server and move forward for other step, will get the performancein  USA right?

If yes ,how this communication will happen to the script and to the sap21server(SMD)?where do we link this ? As I would say SMD agent need to install in the end user for better result and EEM editor or recorder can install it end user or other location,how the performance will be consider with SMD agent I installed?

Regards,

Swaroop

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can set the hostname during the installation of an SMD agent, as this is not a SAP system the name should only be a display feature so you can find it in your LMDB; I could see having to add it to the host file of Windows to have it resolve correctly if it needed too....worst case you could virtualize the installation which should just be a simple registry modification and an additional IP on the current NIC.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok I will try that.

Or I can use the once which I ready installed

But let me know how the connection will happened to the script to the EEM?

I mean if I run the script and updated to the solution manager how will be the connection happened to the script to the SMD?

Thanks for your answer.

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Once you deploy a script to a robot, it will not stop until you stop/uninstall the agent or you have SolMan un-deploy the script.

By default you have a script already within SolMan, all it does is check the SolMan http service; but you can use that as a test to see how deploying a script behaves in your environment.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Ok so internal It will connect to managed system and run the script.

so we should make sure the managed system is connected to the Solman right?

If yes, will  EEM supports third party application? for example there is web page which I want to monitor in the EEM but it is not connected to Solution Manager will it works?

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Swaroop,

If you select the sap21server and sap22server and go ahead then while on the step of deploying the scripts you will find a matix. The scripts will be in the rows and the robots in the columns. You just need to check the box and deploy the scripts on any or both the robots as per you requirement.

As I said the recorder and editor are just to make the script which can be run by the robot. They dont have any other use so they just need to be on the machine from where you are making your scripts. It is not necessary to have them on the end user machine from where you want to measure the performance.

The script has all the information, that is which system to log in to and what steps to perform. So when you deploy the script on any robot then the robot comes to know what step it needs to perform. Thus the robot in USA will perform all the steps as per the scripts and that robot will send the data that is the time taken by each step to the solution manager and that will be reflected in the dashboards.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Neni,

It will work. For web services it can work for any portal, you can try any online shopping portals.

The robot would just perform the steps and send 2 types of information.

1. Whether the system is available or not and

2. What is the time taken to perform each step.

But if you wish to carry out some deeper analysis like recording the traces then that will not work. For those system which are not connected to Solman and RCA is not done for that you cannot get the trace data otherwise the availability and timing of each step is available.

Regards,

Vishal

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As @Vishal stated, SolMan does not need to know about the website in order for a robot to pull up a HTTP request; take note that logins are stored in plain text in the recording file and can be viewed via the EEM Editor.

Also note that SAPGUI is also a supported feature of EEM.

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

@Billy Off course Solman does not need to know about the website. But if you are working with the SAP GUI scripts then there is also an option for "Detailed traces analysis" over and above the normal time duration data which you get for each step, you can run the scripts with traces to get more data. That feature will not be available if RCA for that managed system is not performed, which can be the case for the 3rd party systems.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Now i am able to install SMD agent,but due to some reason i need to uninstall and install it again

now i am geting the below error when uninstalling

I aready stoped all the services and log file below

RACE      2013-09-17 09:53:29.441

SAPinst properties are :

SAPINST_CHECK_PACKAGES=false

SAPINST_CONTROL_URL=control.xml

SAPINST_DETAIL_SUMMARY=true

SAPINST_DIALOG_PORT=21212

SAPINST_DIALOG_URL=dialog.xml

SAPINST_EXE=SAPINST_EXE

SAPINST_JSLIB_TRACE=NW,NWUsers,NWProfiles,NetworkMgt

SAPINST_KEYDB_URL=keydb.xml

SAPINST_MESSAGE_CONSOLE_THRESHOLD=info

SAPINST_MESSAGE_URL=.

SAPINST_PACKAGES_URL=packages.xml

SAPINST_RESOURCE_URL=resourcepool.xml

SAPINST_SAVE_INPUT=true

SAPINST_SCAN_DEVICES=false

SAPINST_SKIP_DIALOGS=false

SAPINST_SLIDE_SHOW_URL=slideshow.xml

SAPINST_TOPLEVEL_URL=toplevel.xml

SELFEXTRACTOR_EXECUTABLE_NAME=C:/Users/<>/Downloads/SMD730_IM_WINDOWS_X86_64/sapinst.exe

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

i had done the setup and now i am runing into the issue under -Solman_workcenter -monitoring

variable setup is fine and SMD agent works fine,user has all the authozation 

Error is connection problem

Please hlep me in this last step

Regards,

Neni

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

Need to know more about the error. Try to see in the FAQs and the troubleshooting provided in the sdn wiki home page for EEM.

Also try some SAP GUI script, and make sure the connection data and the login credentials are proper.

Regards,

Vishal

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another thought would to also open a new thread specific to this issue, and also consider awarding points for information you have found useful to this thread.

former_member184806
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Neni,

Billy is right. Please start a new thread for the script runtime errors and provide some more details.

Regards,

Vishal

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

New  thread opened for EEM connection-http://scn.sap.com/thread/3425059

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

My last question to this thread:

Like load running can we put 300+ users in the EEM and test the how is the performance in the end user?

Regards,

Neni

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can create 300 different scripts or 300 different robots to run against the target; however this tool is not like HP Load Runner, while it can put some stress on the system based on testing requirements may not be the right tool for the job.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

Billy-After recoding the http script what is the next step I need to follow?

when I try to upload in the editor its not going...

Regards,

Neni

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The editor requires a SolMan ID/password with the proper authorizations to be able to upload it from the editor.  You can also upload via the SolMan setup portion of the EEM and grab the recording.

former_member210667
Participant
0 Kudos

1.After recording the htpp script can I upload it directly ?or do I need to zip or upload to editor before doing this?

2.how much size can be uploaded to script in Solution Manager?

3.And also if upload the http script to the EEM-editor it says "The Script is not recorded eem mode.c:\user...."

Answers (0)