Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup strategy for SAP Business Objects

former_member225699
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have SAP BOBJ 4.0 SP5 installed on our servers with Oracle DB and Windows OS.

Could you please advise how to backup the BO system ? What should be the backup/restore strategy ?

Also in CMC there is an option like 'hot backup' , could you please advise what this option does ?

Many Thanks !!!

Regards,

Srikanth G

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hot backup - you can take backup while the system in use and data can change while the backup is being performed (online bakcup)

When backing up your BI platform deployment, you have three options:

Backing up the entire system, which allows you to restore the entire system. Restoring only a portion of the system is not possible.

Backing up server settings, which allows you to restore only server settings without restoring other objects, preserving the current state of your system's BI content.

Backing up BI content, which allows you to selectively restore parts of BI content without the need to restore all objects.

A complete system backup is called a backup set. A backup set is made up of the following backups, created at the same time:

A backup of the CMS system database

A backup of the BI platform file system

A backup of the Input FRS and the Output FRS file stores (if not included in the BI platform file system)

A backup of the web tier components (if not included as part of the BI platform file system)

A backup of the Auditing database

regards

kartik

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Have a look at this thread.

http://scn.sap.com/message/13977618

Data is mostly stored in the database. You should consider a solution for your database backup.

As you have an Oracle database consider implementing RMAN. Again you need a third party backup solution in place. Eg: TSM, Netbackup, etc.

If there is a need to take the backup of the file systems / disks then you will need to do that as well.

Regards

RB

former_member225699
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello RB,

Many Thanks for the info..

As SAP doesn't support 3rd party backup tools like RMAN etc.., is there any tool which SAP provides for backup just like brtools ? or do we need to rely only on 3rd party tools only ?

Kind Regards,

Srikanth

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

As SAP doesn't support 3rd party backup tools like RMAN etc..,

Who told you that SAP doesn't support RMAN ?

Read this :

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d1/43d7cab9a04a409cc46876e36762c2/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0e/f10a7443d711d29fef0000e8a5ae06/content.htm

is there any tool which SAP provides for backup just like brtools ?

BRTools is used for database administration and also provides backup and restore functionality.

or do we need to rely only on 3rd party tools only ?

You need a backup solution in place. Backup tools like BRBACKUP/BRRESTORE need to store database data to a reliable storage.

That is why I suggested storage solutions like TSM, Netbackup

Regards

RB

former_member225699
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello RB,

Apologies.. I meant RMAN as a standalone is not supported by SAP and I understand RMAN with the SAP backup tools is very well supported. But in Business Objects how do I use brbackup /brarchive etc.. was my concern?

Regards,

Srikanth

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert