cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain hardware key for permanent license key

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't have any idea how to obtain hardware key for permanent license key. Also, I don't know how to install permanent license key.

Mind if you could explain it to me step by step? Of course, would you mind not telling me to read note because I think it is rough for me to understand?

I tried it many times, but I never get answer from note. If you are willing to tell me step by step, I will appreciate for that very much.

Thank you and best regards,

George

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Akshay_G
Contributor
0 Kudos

George,

You must be aware of the SAP Licenses in General.

Its basically a License which allows you to run your SAP Systems effectively.

First of all, before requesting for a permanent License Key, you need to gather few details of the SAP system:

1) SAP System ID

2) Application Server or the specific Hostname

3) SAP Product Version Ex- SAP ERP 6.0 EHP6 or SAP Netweaver 7.0

4) Hardware Key - This is unique for the Hardware on which SAP runs, you can get by running saplicense -get command using the SAP Admin user at OS Level

It's something like this=>

Once you have gathered all the required information around you, go to SAP Service Market Place --> License Keys and request for a permanent License.

SAP will mail you the SAP License Key in a text file format.

It will look something like this=>

So in your License Key you shall be able to see details of your SAP System such as SID, Installation Number, Begin Date, Expiration Date, SW Product Name etc and Ofcourse your HARDWARE Key which you specified.

Once you get this you can apply in your SAP System.

Procedure for applying differs on the Kind of System/Version.

For example:

1) SAP ABAP System=> Use Transaction SLICENSE to do the same

2) SAP Netweaver 7.0 JAVA System=> Use Visual Admin

3) SAP Netweaver 7.3 JAVA System=> Use Netweaver Administration Tool

Also just to be clear, please select the system type correctly.

For example, if your Database is Oracle:

1) You are requesting for ABAP Stack System later to platform Netweaver 7.0 it should be of type Netweaver_ORA

2) For JAVA Stack Systems certificate type is J2EE-Engine_ORA

3) For Dual Stack Systems it's still the same as ABAP Stack i.e. Netweaver_ORA

P.S.- You will get one additional component "Maintenance_ORA" that's mandatory for life-cycle management to apply support packs, install add-on etc and it's valid for only 90 days, so you will have to get it renewed every 3 months or so.

Hope you got all the info with visuals, rather than crashing into Notes.

But, SAP Notes are great as all the information is there and that too official. All it needs a reading effort and good amount of patience.

Regards,

Akshay

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

0 Kudos

This thread still shows up for google searches like "sap license hardwarekey" - im not trying to ressurect outdated info 🙂

Im looking becourse we switched Power8 to Power9 hardware using LPM (switching hardware online, without downtime, works really well!) and the running SAP systems still show hardwarekey from old servers as valid - I want to know the SAP internal check for WHEN the HW key is validated - It dosent make sense to install a TEMP, as SAP still thinks its on the old HW.. (i prepared and installed new licenses before the migration to new servers, but they are listed as "Valid (inactive hardwarekey)" - Apparently the HW key is not tested untill a full SAP restart 🙂

Anyways, the modern/manual way of installing SAP licenses - at least in a OS like AIX is (as <sid>adm) to switch to SAP profiledirectory, and list the content - you need the name of the pf parameterfile:
"cdpro" or /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile or /sapmnt/<SID>/profile

To get the new hardwarekey ("of this computer"):

saplikey -get pf=<profileparameterfile>

To show installed licenses and their validity:

saplikey -show pf=<profileparameterfile>

And to install with a new license:

saplikey -install <file containing copy/paste from sap licensewizard> pf=<profileparameterfile>

In a java system, enter the /nwa path, and in the search box type "license" then click the "java licenses" link.

select "install from file" - this is a file you prepared with the copy/paste from the licensekey wizard.

If you already have old licenses, you should clean them up only after your "rollback" / system validation period has ended.

All very simple.

Licenses are generated here:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/licensekey/wizard

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Benjamin,

How does it not work when I entered command, saplicense -get?

thank you and best regards

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

How does it not work when I entered command, saplicense -get?

You should run the command under sidadm.

What is the output you get ?

Regards

RB

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Use tcode SLICENSE  to get hardware key, installation number, expiry date and system number.

With this hardware key goto Service marketplace --> License Key --> request license key.

They will email the permanent license or you can download it too. Again goto SLICENSE --> New license --> click on Install

http://www.sapbasismania.net/2012/04/how-to-install-sap-license-key.html

regards

kartik

former_member183107
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes do as Graham instructed.

Also, you can login into OS:-

1. If Windows then go to command prompt->type saplicense -get

2. Unix then login with sidadm and type saplicese -get

Regards,

Himanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George

Is this for an ABAP stack? If so, run transaction SLICENSE and the hardware key is shown like so:

Then you need to log on to the Service Marketplace > License keys and register your installation and request the key.

Regards,

Graham